Gibson - virtual guitar tech sessions

What's Hot

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1549
    Wow. That sounds fantastic. Im working tomorrow, but have free time on thursday and friday. And, as luck would have it, Im looking to replace the pickups on my Epi  Dot :)

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    ... until you turn up with a Chibson ....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7106
    tFB Trader
    fandango said:
    ... until you turn up with a Chibson ....
    Or even worse, a Fender
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 127
    Interesting. Just scheduled a slot on Thursday afternoon!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Maybe they could show me how to file the nut on the brand new Gibson I bought so it doesn't bind the strings and it could stay in tune.... maybe it will be the tech who took the photo of the guitar on the bench at Gibson before they shipped it out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    JD50 said:
    Maybe they could show me how to file the nut on the brand new Gibson I bought so it doesn't bind the strings and it could stay in tune.... maybe it will be the tech who took the photo of the guitar on the bench at Gibson before they shipped it out?

The last one I bought didn't bind.  The slots were not cut deep enough though, so I had to do some work on it anyway.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2449
    How did you guys get on?

My session was pretty good - after I figured out all the sound setup! The guy was a good bloke, and we’ve booked an hour follow-up. My main thing was buzzing and overtones at certain points, so we’re going to focus on those issues. 

Still waiting for the payment catch...!
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    FarleyUK said:
    How did you guys get on?

My session was pretty good - after I figured out all the sound setup! The guy was a good bloke, and we’ve booked an hour follow-up. My main thing was buzzing and overtones at certain points, so we’re going to focus on those issues. 

Great but can’t see this lasting. All the man hours for free won’t make business sense. And I can’t really see it drawing out customers who wouldn’t otherwise buy a Gibson tbh.
    My session was pretty good as well. Good guy and engaging.

Another hour long session booked to work through what a pro would do when setting up a guitar, so looking forward to that.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Sounds cool: gonna book one, see if they can talk me through stringing up a 12 string Rickenbacker with an 'R' trapeze...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5481
    TINMAN82 said:
    FarleyUK said:
    How did you guys get on?

Great but can’t see this lasting. All the man hours for free won’t make business sense. And I can’t really see it drawing out customers who wouldn’t otherwise buy a Gibson tbh.
    I’m sure it’s just gonna run until the lockdown is over. Keeps their guys busy and builds brand goodwill. They want their customers to buy *more* Gibsons. 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Those who have had sessions - which guys did you book with?
    johnl said:
    I booked with Jansen. Very engaging guy and genuinely interested in my guitar, experience, what I was hoping to achieve from the session.

johnl said:
    I booked with Jansen. Very engaging guy and genuinely interested in my guitar, experience, what I was hoping to achieve from the session.

Same here - seems like a decent guy and easy to chat to. Will be interesting to see how the full hour goes. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    Did they essentially teach you how to set up your guitar?

What tools did you need? 

What tools did you need? 
    Well, for me it was more explaining how I do it normally, showing him certain areas and then saying about any issues I have. 

He suggested for the main session I’ll need the usual stuff (strings, screwdriver, fretboard conditioner, nut sauce (giggidy) etc.). We’ll cover how to set it up for low action, adjust the truss rod, benefits of using string through vs wrap around on the tailpiece, checking saddles etc. 

What tools did you need? 
    He asked what tools I had and suggested the same as above (nut sauce, fretboard conditioner, appropriate polish for a nitro finish etc). The second session is arranged to give you time to get stuff ordered if you don't already have it.

He also suggested that I set the camera up to look at the guitar from above/at an angle that he can see what's going on for the next session, so I'm going to set it up from directly above I think. Should be interesting and fun!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    So essentially it seems like they'll teach you how to set up your guitar. 
    edited May 2020
    So essentially it seems like they'll teach you how to set up your guitar. 
    I think they’ll try and help with whatever you want. He was telling me how he helped one person with a grounding issue for example, including wiring schematic discussion.

The first 30 minute session is to establish what you want - which was the chance to be taken through how a professional would set up a guitar in my case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom