S-type with Filtertrons?

What's Hot
barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 638
If I could pick your brains for a moment, please, have any of you lot whacked a couple of Filtertrons (or similar) in a Strat, and was it worthwhile?

Are there any builders offering an S-type guitar with Filtertrons as a standard model?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9535
    No I haven’t, but fender did a rarities strat with a koa top that had a filtertron in the bridge. It’s a fine looking thing
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5481
    Knaggs have done it on a Severn, they used Lollartrons. Can’t find any pics quickly at the moment but I think I saw them first on their Facebook page. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27596
    I don't see any reason it wouldn't sound excellent. Trons always sound great.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 638
    chris78 said:
    No I haven’t, but fender did a rarities strat with a koa top that had a filtertron in the bridge. It’s a fine looking thing
    Yeah, I was wondering mainly about HH configurations – the only one I could think of was the Luchador.

Just seems odd that builders have mixed and matched almost every design at this point, but you still (almost) never see a Strat with a couple of TV Jones.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Think Justin Sandercoes S type from Grey guitars has one.
    Oooh – looks great fun, that.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    I made a couple a few years ago using a TV Classic and Classic+ set, sounded lovely! It also worked really well with one in the bridge as a HSS setup.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1014
    chris78 said:
    This one @chris78 ?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-rarities-american-original-50s-stratocaster-w-koa-top-and-maple-neck-in-natural-0176503821-snt
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7866
    I had one in a strat-ish guitar on the neck position. Very clean and perhaps too twinkly if the guitar is bright already. So if doing it again I'd get a classic plus type filter wind for some more oomph and that'd work nicely.
    If you are an americana/roots/funk/country player then consider one in the bridge position too, but most players will be happier with a p90 or PAF.

Try a cabronita tele first and see what you think. In my limited experience (2 big gretches, 2 duo jets, 2 other solidbodies & 2 la cabs) Filters seem to work best in mahogany guitars or hollowbodies where the attack gets smoothed out a bit and they are slightly warmer. 

I had one in a strat-ish guitar on the neck position. Very clean and perhaps too twinkly if the guitar is bright already. So if doing it again I'd get a classic plus type filter wind for some more oomph and that'd work nicely.
    If you are an americana/roots/funk/country player then consider one in the bridge position too, but most players will be happier with a p90 or PAF.

Try a cabronita tele first and see what you think. In my limited experience (2 big gretches, 2 duo jets, 2 other solidbodies & 2 la cabs) Filters seem to work best in mahogany guitars or hollowbodies where the attack gets smoothed out a bit and they are slightly warmer. 

Cheers, those are helpful observations. I liked the sound of the only Cabronita I've played, which was ash - but it was a homebrew job with a tone knob, so a bit more biddable than most off-the-shelf Cabronitas.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5481
    duotone said:
    chris78 said:
    This one @chris78 ?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-rarities-american-original-50s-stratocaster-w-koa-top-and-maple-neck-in-natural-0176503821-snt
    Pretty sure that’s not a true Filtertron but actually a surprisingly high-output humbucker with a Tron-style cover. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1075
    Justin's looks great. I'd swap the Filtertron and the bucker though
    duotone said:
    chris78 said:
    This one @chris78 ?

Yes that. Think Peach still have one as well

Whitecat said:
    duotone said:
    chris78 said:
    This one @chris78 ?

Pretty sure that’s not a true Filtertron but actually a surprisingly high-output humbucker with a Tron-style cover. 
    As usual, fender are vague on the details. They describe it as a filtertron style.
    Thing is, filtertrons vary massively, even if you look at the tv Jones range and new Gretsch models. The filtertrons on my players Gretsch weren’t very filtertron like at all
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    Classic+ 8k ish wind is great in a bridge, I also had trad type in both positions. Great pickups.
  • hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    This is mine... Fender Custom Shop La Cabronita Luchador

https://flic.kr/p/2iV8xbi
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16329
    hairmetal said:
    This is mine... Fender Custom Shop La Cabronita Luchador

https://flic.kr/p/2iV8xbi
    Nice. I always thought they would do some kind of standard run of those but they never did. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    edited May 2020
    Shawn Tubbs often plays his Gold LSL with Filtertron in the bridge...very cool look & sound...around 7:45 mark !

Just stumbled across this, so Fender have come close to making one with proper Strat contours. Don't think the binding and birdseye maple and pearl dots suit it, but it's a Shishkov production and he's never met a bit of bling he didn't like.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom