Les Paul Standard 50s P90 Gold Top - Yay or Nay?

What's Hot
powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
I’ve always fancied a P90 equipped Les Paul and wondered what people’s opinions are of the 50s tribute gold top. 

Also, as I’m left handed, are they available in a lefty and what’s the secondhand market like for them - price and availability?

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7193
    your post says tribute but your title says standard?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    tony99 said:
    This will be down to my lack of detailed knowledge! Are there differences between the two?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19312
    powerhand said:
    tony99 said:
    This will be down to my lack of detailed knowledge! Are there differences between the two?
    Think of the Tribute as a variation of a Studio & you won't go far wrong.
    https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAANM97/Les-Paul-Tribute/Satin-Iced-Tea
    I have one (Gold Top 60's Darkback) & it's very good value for money, but not my favourite Gibson.
  • powerhandpowerhand Frets: 198
    Can you tell what type this one is?

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    edited May 2020
    Tribute - unbound body and fretboard. Nothing wrong with them at all, I really like the satin finish but they are on the cheaper end of the Gibson USA range so don't pay more than £600ish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19312
    edited May 2020
    'Can you tell what type this one is?'
    Not easily without the specs, although the 60's tribute Goldtops had a slightly more coppery tone to the finish.
    That photo looks more 'proper' gold.
    All Tributes had a nitro finish that was micron thin & chipped if you so much as looked at it in a funny manner.

Edit: All Tributes came with a cheap furry soft carrycase, not a Cali Girl  type hardcase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    When I had a gold top Tokai for sale a guy sent me his 50s tribute to see if I wanted to trade.
    It sounded good but it felt like a toy compared to the Tokai.
    Since then I learned Les Paul's are not for me, unless it's the Jr or Special models (flat top).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14725
    powerhand said:
    tony99 said:
    I have a 2006 limited edition Standard P90 Goldtop. It has the slim neck profile, no weight relief and nickel plated hardware. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    The new standard 50s that retail around the £1800 mark are solid guitars from the ones I’ve tried. I’d be tempted to upgraded the pickups but all in all they are very good. Finding one second hand would represent good bang for buck.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14004
    Something to be aware of with some P90 equipped Les Pauls is that on some there is little to no ability to adjust the pickup height. I found that the neck pickup was much louder than the bridge and couldn't be adjusted to balance. That's why you sometimes see some really extreme pole piece adjustments on vintage 52-56 Les Pauls.

i couldn't live with it in the end and decided I will never have a guitar that I could not adjust the pickups fully on again.

• markjmarkj Frets: 923
    powerhand said:
    Can you tell what type this one is?

I’ve got the same model in Ebony, superb guitar. I bought mine used from Reverb a few years ago for around the £400 mark. Upgraded the pickups to a aset of Wolftone’s and stoptail and bridge for Faber. It’s one of my favs.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    Something to be aware of with some P90 equipped Les Pauls is that on some there is little to no ability to adjust the pickup height. I found that the neck pickup was much louder than the bridge and couldn't be adjusted to balance. That's why you sometimes see some really extreme pole piece adjustments on vintage 52-56 Les Pauls.

i couldn't live with it in the end and decided I will never have a guitar that I could not adjust the pickups fully on again.

Had the same problem in my SG Special so I had a guy taking a few turns of wire from the neck pickup to make it better balanced with the bridge pickup. It helped
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14004
    Jota said:

Had the same problem in my SG Special so I had a guy taking a few turns of wire from the neck pickup to make it better balanced with the bridge pickup. It helped
    Yes, a hotter bridge pickup wind would have helped as the Gibson pickups were pretty much the same output for neck & bridge.

• markjmarkj Frets: 923
    Jota said:

Yes, a hotter bridge pickup wind would have helped as the Gibson pickups were pretty much the same output for neck & bridge.
    My pickups on both my tribute and special are fully adjustable. The pickup on a junior being a dogear isn’t, it’s adjustable using shims.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14725
    RandallFlagg said:
    a hotter bridge pickup wind would have helped as the Gibson pickups were pretty much the same output for neck & bridge.
    Alternatively, swap out at least one of the A5 magnets in the neck/Rhythm position pickup for A4 or A2.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I had a 2013 50's tribute in ebony. It was very heavy. P90s were nice and hot, but I couldn't get on with the neck. It was as BIG. 

I have to say, it was not beautifully or carefully made.

I have a squire J Mascis Jazzmaster, made in China and it feel like a better made guitar. 

I hear the 2016 ones are nice though.