Vintera, almost a year on... Thoughts?

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
edited May 2020 in Guitar
So, how's everyone finding their terribly named guitars now that they've been around for a while? Anyone have one & not gel with it? Anyone have multiple? Curious to get some opinions!

I got the 50s non-modified Tele back in January & that bat of a neck seems to alternate between being the most comfortable thing in the world to being impossible for me to get a proper grip of, but that's entirely down to me & not the guitar. The finish is superb, I'm sold (even more) on the vintage style tuners, & 7.25" is amazing for my style of playing. There is a little bit of choking while bending, but it's very minor, & only really happens when I nail a string hard in a certain place. It's also a bit of a heavy bugger - by far the heaviest Tele I've used at over 8lbs. But damn, it does sound good.

The matching 50s non-modified Strat looks good, & the 60s burst Tele with a Bigsby would already be mine if it were double bound, but hey.

What's your experience been like?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    I bought my son a used modified 50s Tele for his 18th. I agree about the weight - otherwise it’s great. Fantastic neck, great range of tones - I bought it used (and unmarked) at a good price. Really impressed.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited May 2020
    Still loving my 60s Strat Vintera. Only thing I’d like to change is the trem but I was wanting to do that before I even bought the guitar. Nothing wrong with it but just prefer the system on my other guitar. Better tuning stability etc. A bit of choking too I found but that can easily be sorted out with a good set up. I’ll be doing that when out of lockdown. Very resonant guitar acoustically too imo 

Other than that I can’t fault it. Love the colour and feel
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    I got the Ice Blue Metallic 60s Jazzmaster and I still love it, it’s great guitar. Fit and finish are spot on, it sounds good and is really nice to play.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    I got the Ice Blue Metallic 60s Jazzmaster and I still love it, it’s great guitar. Fit and finish are spot on, it sounds good and is really nice to play.
    oooh any piccies? that does sound nice
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    Still loving my 60s Strat Vintera. Only thing I’d like to change is the trem but I was wanting to do that before I even bought the guitar. Nothing wrong with it but just prefer the system on my other guitar. Better tuning stability etc. A bit of choking too I found but that can easily be sorted out with a good set up. I’ll be doing that when out of lockdown. Very resonant guitar acoustically too imo 

What weight is your Strat?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823

What weight is your Strat?
    Blimey I have no idea and no way of weighing it tbh. Never really bothered me to ask. If it felt ok it was ok ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2708
    @jamesoliver1234 got one I think

you got taste !!
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 507
    edited May 2020
    Loving this vintera tele I got a while back... had no real interest in a 70s thinline but after picking it up and playing it in dawsons I had to buy it...

https://i.imgur.com/sui2C1r.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/Z9K8U6m

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    Loving this vintera tele I got a while back... had no real interest in a 70s thinline but after picking it up and playing it in dawsons I had to buy it...

I came within a whisker of buying the same Tele Thinline from Bax last month with a hard case.  By the time they came back to me to answer a query I had on the differences between two cases, the price jumped up nearly £100 and it was no longer the great price that it was. I didn't 'need' it, but just fancied it. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 507
    edited May 2020
    Voxman said:

I came within a whisker of buying the same Tele Thinline from Bax last month with a hard case.  By the time they came back to me to answer a query I had on the differences between two cases, the price jumped up nearly £100 and it was no longer the great price that it was. I didn't 'need' it, but just fancied it. 
    Shame im really enjoying it...although I will say the fret ends need smoothed and the nut is thinner than my strat but the pickups sound great.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Remind me what Vintera is again. Is it what used to be American Standard?? 
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    No, more like the Mexican Classics. Vintera being a clumsy portmanteau of "Vintage" and "Era."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    Is it just me or does it sound like a cut and shut made of a Vauxhall Frontera and a Suzuki Vitara? Awful, awful name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    At least it's not a portmanteau of shiny and bright...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    At least it's not a portmanteau of shiny and bright...
    haha a Fender Briny sounds daft doesn't it
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    DeeTee said:
    No, more like the Mexican Classics. Vintera being a clumsy portmanteau of "Vintage" and "Era."
    Yeah, it's a reboot of the Classic series. It's a pity they dropped the nitro finish option (though I did wonder if the nitro coat was simply applied on top of the standard poly version as a selling point. Either way, they did age nicely. Ash body, 7.25" and vintage frets = my perfect Tele. :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    Wonder if the marketer who came up with the ridiculous name still has a job?
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 363
    edited May 2020
    I wonder if the name works better in American English where they pronounce "era" as "error"? (As proved by the fact they all think he says "a nuclear era" in London Calling.)