New '78 LP Special

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Not to derail the thread, but Ive been looking for a T-Top bridge HB for my recently aquired 78 custom (it still has the original neck) - is there any reason why people are asking such a high price for them on ebay etc other than they are old? Really really good looking LP Special by the way - I love a nice natural/burst. Is it heavy?
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    @JonathonWesson1 I think you are right - anything from the 70's (even 80's!) is getting marketed as vintage.

Asking prices then creep up accordingly.

From what I gather the T-Tops weren't favoured back in the day and a lot (particularly bridge) were swapped out in favour of Dimarzio which were very much in fashion.

At this time owners would not be worried about keeping their guitars stock.

Fast forward 30 years and we are buying theses guitars and looking to return them to stock. The likes of T-tops are therefore in demand.

Good luck with your search.

My Special feels very light when playing but if you hold it up under the headstock it actually has a reassuring weight to it. I don't own any scales though so can't weigh it.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    ICBM;270321" said:
    Iamnobody said:Any other ideas folks?

Personally, unless you *really* like the Dimarzio, I would replace it with the proper Gibson P90. If you take your time you might even be able to find one of the right age on Ebay etc.
    I'm not sure I would want to pay any premium for an old one but equally there is no particular rush so might give it a few months and see if anything crops up.

I quite like the Dimario and the fact it reflects the era of the guitar even though not stock...

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    edited November 2014
    Iamnobody said: I've now heard back from Dimarzio and they've informed me they don't sell pickup covers separately.

I reckon I might just buy a blank cover and drill just the two mounting holes; instead of trying to drill 14 in the right place for the pole pieces as well!

Or bin the bridge pickup altogether and replace with another pickup.

Any other ideas folks?

I'm only just seeing this thread due to your for sale listing, so I'm way out of date, but what the hell.... if that's a really old DiMarzio DLX (70s/80s) the cover isn't removable - the coils are embedded inside a load of goop (epoxy?) under the cover, a bit like an EMG.

If it's a newer one, the cover is removable and underneath it's just a normal looking humbucker with slightly smaller bobbins.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7790
    you can certainly get covers for some DiMarzios as I recall getting one for Fretmeister recently, but they may only supply covers for specific pickups.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    I decided to leave it. As someone pointed out it's a 'period correct' mod!

Cheers for the info anyway.
  • If I bought it (which I won't) I'd have to put black P90s back in.