Strat problem?

guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 467
So my Strat seems to have developed an issue today where the top E & B strings are very quiet compared to the other four strings, but only when the bridge pickup is selected. They sound fine in all other switch positions. 

It definitely wasn’t like this last week when I played it and nothing has changed. 

Tried a different lead and it’s the same. My other guitars are all fine too. 

It’s a partscaster with Oil City pickups and wiring harness, into a HX Stomp. 

Anyone any ideas please? Five-way switch maybe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    If the other four strings are OK then it must be a problem with the pickup magnets. This is very rare, but I had that exact issue with a Seymour Duncan Strat pickup once too - also on the E and B strings.

@OilCityPickups may be able to help more than me though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    Pickup dropped lower on one side?

(I recently had the opposite problem on my Tele in that the E & B strings suddenly become much louder and brighter - thought it was going to be something serious but it was simply that, for some reason, both saddles had dropped (yes, I admit to owning a six-saddle Tele).)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Top E & B strings are very quiet compared to the other four strings but only when the bridge pickup is selected.
    Magnet degaussing
    Test by tapping gently on the suspect polepieces with a metal object. This test is valid for any selector switch position in which the offending pickup is selected.

Tone control
    If your control circuit has a tone pot connected to operate on the bridge position pickup, check that it is turned up to 10. 

Selector switch
    The switch should either pass the signal from all six strings or from none. 

String condition
    How old are they? Is there any corrosion or a build up of gunk on the E and B strings directly above the bridge pickup?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 467
    Top E & B strings are very quiet compared to the other four strings but only when the bridge pickup is selected.
    Magnet degaussing
    Test by tapping gently on the suspect polepieces with a metal object. This test is valid for any selector switch position in which the offending pickup is selected.

Tone control
    If your control circuit has a tone pot connected to operate on the bridge position pickup, check that it is turned up to 10. 

Selector switch
    The switch should either pass the signal from all six strings or from none. 

String condition
    How old are they? Is there any corrosion or a build up of gunk on the E and B strings directly above the bridge pickup?
    All pole pieces “click” as you’d expect if you tap them with a screwdriver. 

All pots on 10.

You'd think so, but it definitely just the E & B playing up. 

Strings only a few week old, Elixier 9’s. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14719
    Do you normally use Elixir and, if so, which thickness of the coating? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.