Gibson ES135 - anyone got one ?

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7319
A mate of a mate is thinking of selling one for a reasonable price (c £1k), it’s a newer one - I’ve seen it in person a while back and it looked nice (sounded nice too but that may have been the player).

Should I give it a whirl ?  I do like messing around with the odd maj 7 chord or are they cheap for a reason ?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27644
    Nice looking & sounding things. Not far off a single-cut ES-335 really. I’ve often fancied one but never looked seriously

Is it a P90 or humbucker version?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7319
    Cheers Sticky and it’s a P90 one which would probably be my preference as I’ve recently had yet another whirl on a les paul with PAF alikes in it 
  • JasonJason Frets: 1106
    tFB Trader
    Had one, wish I'd never sold it, really nice guitars

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    Yes, I had one for a short while - nice enough, and very much a cross between an ES-225 and ES-175. My only gripe with it was that my particular example felt like a 'cheap' Gibson, whereas with a new Eastman of a similar new price, the quality would have felt higher. The price sounds decent though. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers fellas and funny enough @DB1 if I heard the story correctly it’s a new Eastman that has made him think about selling the 135
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5030
    Oh, lucky guess then! I wouldn't decry the ES-135 at all, apart from noting the cheaper 'feel' to it, primarily the unbound, slightly uneven neck - I've been through between 40-50 Gibsons in the past four years, just wanting to try as many as I can really - and I don't think that it was any dissatisfaction that caused me to sell. I got my money back, even though I bought it at a retailer (Sound Affects) and sold it through eBay, and that was about £1150, so it's not a purchase that you'll regret financially. 
    Call me Dave.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14703
    tFB Trader
    Ik is a decent price for such a guitar - Just my preference, but I favour the P90 version over the humbucker
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31895
    I like the guitar well enough, but I'm really not a fan of P100 pickups and would change them immediately for proper P90s, given that I'd be unlikely to use that style of guitar with huge amounts of gain anyway. 
    Ok I need to now oh so gently encourage him to sell in a disinterested sort of way rather than my usual ‘TAKE MY MONEY !’ approach as this may make him rethink it......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72972
    Do you like 'long' guitars - like ES-335s and Firebirds? If not you may find it awkward - for some unknown reason they made the neck joint at the 16th fret, not the 14th which is standard for a Gibson single-cut semi-acoustic. The result is that the neck is about an inch too far to the left compared to something like an ES-225 - I find them ungainly and awkward to play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14725
    p90fool said:
    I'm really not a fan of P100 pickups and would change them immediately for proper P90s, given that I'd be unlikely to use that style of guitar with huge amounts of gain anyway. 
    My then work supervisor had a -135. Even after upgrading to BKP Mississippi Queen pickups, he still did not gel with it. 

ICBM said:
    'long' guitars … awkward … neck is about an inch too far to the left … ungainly and awkward to play.
    My supervisor was (and still is) a shorthouse. This might be why he only kept the -135 for a matter of months.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.