Acoustic guitar wiring advice needed

paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
edited May 2020 in Acoustics
I'm planing an overhaul of the wiring loom on my acoustic guitar as I broke a pot when I wired in a new soundhole pickup last year. 

The guitar is a Yamaha LL6, the pickup is a Fishman Neo-D single, with a tone and volume control. 

What's everyone's advice regarding audio/log and linear pots, including cap values specific to acoustic guitars? 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    edited May 2020
    Fishman Neo-D single, with a tone and volume control. 
    I am only familiar with the Neo-D as an aftermarket retrofit item. i.e. Pickup, cable, moulded-on jack plug. 

Where are the controls mounted on the LL6 and what format pots are used? (Photographs will help, if only to identify the correct replacement parts.) 

paulphoenix said:
    What's everyone's advice regarding audio/log and linear pots, including cap values specific to acoustic guitars?
    My advice is to have as few components added inside the guitar as possible. 

Finally, just to clarify, does your guitar have an undersaddle piezo transducer? If so, do you intend to combine its signal with the Fishman magnetic pickup?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    I bought the guitar as a standard acoustic and fitted the electrics myself - I drilled the body for the pots and output jack and soldered in an old Artec soundhole pickup from the parts drawer. 

I eventually upgraded the Artec to a Seymour Duncan Woody (which i did't like), and then I bought the Fishman Neo.

I soldered the Fishman to my circuit, but upon replacing the control knobs, one of the pots went clunk. 

As I need to replace the pots (cheap Alpha minis), I though I'd do the whole circuit wiring again and invest in some better components this time around including the tone cap.  

I was looking at the CTS mini 250k pots but I can only find them with Audio tapers and just wondered if that really matters. 

Finally, just to clarify, does your guitar have an undersaddle piezo transducer? If so, do you intend to combine its signal with the Fishman magnetic pickup?

it does not have an undersaddle piezo. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I was looking at the CTS mini 250k pots but I can only find them with Audio tapers and just wondered if that really matters.
    Those should be ideal. You need audio taper for both anyway on an acoustic.

Not sure of the best tone cap value but you won't go far wrong with .047uF.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Those should be ideal. You need audio taper for both anyway on an acoustic.

Not sure of the best tone cap value but you won't go far wrong with .047uF.

Thank you ICBM, exactly the guidance and advice I was after.