Neck single coils.

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Looking for something that gives that p90 girth but in a standard single coil size for my godin. The guitar doesn't lack warmth or low end but it would just be handy to be able to switch in a fruity p90 style sound when required! Ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I don't really like making those big permanent mods to my guitars!
  • Calling @theguitarweasel...

I think P90's might have a slightly different construction to a boggo strat type pickup with a butt load of wire on, but if anyone can approximate you one, he's your man. :)

I *love* a single coil in the neck.  My next build, asides from the guitar buildery challenge on here, will be a p90 neck and bridge bucker pickup.  I've heard good sounding neck humbuckers, but none have amazed me as much as a standard strat, tele or p90.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had a BKP MQ in my Vanquish, best neck pickup sounds I've ever heard. I want to recreate that but in a strat type guitar and in the space of a single coil!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Perhaps surprisingly, the Dimarzio SDS-1 is quite close, both constructionally and tone-wise in my opinion.

It can be a bit misleading because the guitars are so different that even if you put an actual P90 in a Strat it doesn't really sound like a LP Special.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27046
    Off the top of my head:

The Creamery do a Burns Tri-sonic alike and a P90-type for Strats.

I'm sure Mojo and Oil City wold both do similar if asked. 

There's also Rio Grande who do strat pickups with fatter polepieces for extra girth. They're a lot of fun :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Fralin does a couple of steel poled strat pups. Kinda P90 ish.  The 42 will be plenty hot enough for a neck pup.  There are also offerings from harmonic design and rio grande.   All US manufacturers unfortunately.  

Mind you, none of them will really sound like a P90
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Check out Harmonic Designs pickups.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    the best of both worlds must be a Telecaster bridge pickup ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Schecter are planning to release their Monstertone tapped single coils as an aftermarket pickup later this year - when untapped they are substantially hotter and fatter than your usual strat neck pickup.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Don't know if it'd achieve the desired results, but how about a single coil with a baseplate attached?
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    http://www.mk-guitar.com/

you can get those Schecter pickups there.