FretKing basses

What's Hot
kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
edited May 2020 in Bass
What are you experiences. My bassist loves my UK made FretKing Elan guitar and now wants to get FretKing bass. I have no idea though if they´re worth checking out.
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14498
    What are your experiences?
    My experience of Fret King bass guitars is zero, zip, zilch. 

The combination of their unusual styling and the dearth of UK stockists means that very few examples appear on the pre-owned market.

As a boring, old fart owner of brands F, MM, R, S and W, I am disinclined to travel a long distance just to examine an instrument that there is only a 50:50 chance I will take to. (I would be equally disinclined to travel to view a brand G bass!)

My bassist
    What makes/models of bass guitar does this person currently use?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
    What are your experiences?
    My experience of Fret King bass guitars is zero, zip, zilch. 

The combination of their unusual styling and the dearth of UK stockists means that very few examples appear on the pre-owned market.

As a boring, old fart owner of brands F, MM, R, S and W, I am disinclined to travel a long distance just to examine an instrument that there is only a 50:50 chance I will take to. (I would be equally disinclined to travel to view a brand G bass!)

My bassist
    What makes/models of bass guitar does this person currently use?

Sandberg Electra
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    A Fretking bass is unlikely to be an upgrade or even a meaningful change from what he currently has, if he opts for the Perception model. If he goes Esprit, I mean they're fine but he'd probably get better value for money with the equivalent Music Man/Sterling.

Fretking is a Wilkinson brand, so the build quality is good but the materials are average, the finishes are plasticky and in my experience (only with FK guitars, not basses) they're a bit characterless.

I think £600-£700 is quite a lot of money for copies "with a twist", albeit well-made. The other thing is these hold half the value compared to their equivalent e.g. MIM Fenders.

All the above is just my opinion. I sort of rate them along with Gordon Smith, for "they look fine, but why would you, considering what else there is".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone is selling a pretty nice looking Esprit bass on Facebook for a decent price... 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167660810099231/permalink/1427290700802896/?sale_post_id=1427290700802896
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I'm pretty sure that Fret King is essentially the 'non-traditional' design wing of Vintage, with equivalent product quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom