PSA: Recording Kings on offer at Thomann

What's Hot
https://www.gearnews.com/massive-savings-on-four-recording-king-acoustic-guitars-some-over-50-off/

Couple of great little guitars for sale here if anyone’s after a cheapy or two. I’d love the RWB model, but my rack is currently full!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    BARGAINS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are these any good? The RWB looks way cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14230
    tFB Trader
    Killer deals - might need a set-up to get the best of them but almost a disposable 'throw away' at that price - Don't expect them to be a top end Martin, but for an electric guitar player that wants a 'kick around go to acoustic' for some fun' then a no brainer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    UPS man delivered the all solid Parlour today and I've had a quick go with it and I'm a little underwhelmed even at the great price I paid for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Ah that's a shame, why's that then? I've played a few RK's in the past on Denmark Street and was generally impressed by them, even at normal prices.
    Ah that's a shame, why's that then? I've played a few RK's in the past on Denmark Street and was generally impressed by them, even at normal prices.
    I think I was too quick to make an assessment!  The pitfalls of making an assessment straight after taking it out of the box when it has been in transit for 4 or 5 days. It's sounding better after it is adjusting to my environmental conditions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Haha fair enough! Yep, give it a bit of time to acclimatise - fresh strings too maybe!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I got the parlour in black a few weeks back for £119, I opened the box and it looked great but it had this smell of crap wood. A few weeks later, the smell has gone, and I love it. Plays great, sounds great, perfect lockdown guitar for the sofa or garden.
    Haha fair enough! Yep, give it a bit of time to acclimatise - fresh strings too maybe!
    The more I play the guitar the more I like it, I'll do a NGD thread sometime soon.

• rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I managed to get a RP M9M .Not at all bad for 129 sheets .Lowered the action and all is well.The strap button falls out so had to glue it in but flawless  finish. The frets are OK  after a  quick going over with a spoon handle to removed the burs which were sharp . All in all pretty good .Sounds Ok to me but its so long since I played a decent acoustic I have nothing to compare it with but its got good volume and the  tone is even  and doesnt sound tinny .It doing its job and reminds me how I suffered the last time I had an acoustic with heavy strings ,anything over 10's.
    rossi said:
    I managed to get a RP M9M .Not at all bad for 129 sheets .Lowered the action and all is well.The strap button falls out so had to glue it in but flawless  finish. The frets are OK  after a  quick going over with a spoon handle to removed the burs which were sharp . All in all pretty good .Sounds Ok to me but its so long since I played a decent acoustic I have nothing to compare it with but its got good volume and the  tone is even  and doesnt sound tinny .It doing its job and reminds me how I suffered the last time I had an acoustic with heavy strings ,anything over 10's.
    Have you played yours much? Mine is definitely sounding better the more it gets played, to begin with it had a very strange sound almost no midrange in the slightest bit and it had the loosest truss rod I've ever come across.

It went from sounding terrible to pretty good within a few days!  Mine needed a lot of tension in the truss to be put in, lots of oil for the bridge/fretboard. The string height on mine is 1.25mm treble, 2.25m bass and could be lowered but it's more than fine for now. I've got mine in Open C and there's no buzz with the 12-53's which I'm pleased with.

My one slight gripe after owning it for a few days is the intonation for the Low E is a little off.

I flattened the neck via the truss rod and lowered the nut slots .Intonation is fine though as"intonation" hadnt been invented in the  60's  mainly due to the crap we played its never been a worry TBH .I just set the action until I can play it easily or at least easier  .Its starting to sound better though is that the ears accepting it or the guitar improving .I do think strings need a few hours to play in ..In the 60's I had  a friend who was a Hi Fi buff  to the extreme and he said most people get used to crap and think its a great sound but some dont ever so need Hi Fi .I am happy to bash out a song or two .Its certainly worth the money and I  cant see anything being better for cheaper .As I have COPD my lock down seems it will be forever so I dont think my assault on the ears of the public will be put to test by this guitar for a long while but its nice to go acoustic again after about 40 odd years .I would rather like to have a go on one of those  new Fender Acoustonics but I cant get out and play one either. I play finger style on everything  any way even  heavy electric blues  at jams ..
    cheers
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rossi said:
    I flattened the neck via the truss rod and lowered the nut slots .Intonation is fine though as"intonation" hadnt been invented in the  60's  mainly due to the crap we played its never been a worry TBH .I just set the action until I can play it easily or at least easier  .Its starting to sound better though is that the ears accepting it or the guitar improving .I do think strings need a few hours to play in ..In the 60's I had  a friend who was a Hi Fi buff  to the extreme and he said most people get used to crap and think its a great sound but some dont ever so need Hi Fi .I am happy to bash out a song or two .Its certainly worth the money and I  cant see anything being better for cheaper .As I have COPD my lock down seems it will be forever so I dont think my assault on the ears of the public will be put to test by this guitar for a long while but its nice to go acoustic again after about 40 odd years .I would rather like to have a go on one of those  new Fender Acoustonics but I cant get out and play one either. I play finger style on everything  any way even  heavy electric blues  at jams ..
    cheers
    A shame to hear about the COPD, yeah you're right to be careful about being cautious with everything, hopefully things will quieten down sooner rather than later so you can get out and about.

I get what your friend meant about one's ears getting used to a sound, but I've found for acoustic/nylon string guitars can be a tricky old beast for things like temperature and humidity.

I've got a few acoustics (Guild, Eastman etc) and my RK might not be as refined as some of the others but it definitely has it's charm. A guitar I'll enjoy playing on the sofa.

Hope you enjoying your playing yours as well @rossi.
    Cheers .Its already sounding better .Got the action spot on now and cant put it down so money well spent.The COPD is under control at least for now though its a real bastard walking up hills  which in Norwich is ever present   getting to city car parks  after blues and jazz jams .Getting old .Even the slightest slope becomes a mountain .I have to make sure my electrics are very  light .It has strangely improved my blues voice though .
    Martin

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Here’s mine, still getting lots of use, a bargain for £119!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom