Studio monitors have developed noise

Hi all, my PreSonus Eris E4.5 monitors randomly started hissing/crackling yesterday.  They have never done this before.  I have turned everything off, unplugged everything, re installed the cabling and made sure the audio cables are away from the power cables as much as possible (though I don't see why this would be an issue - it just started hissing/crackling and nothing has moved from where it has been in over a year).  

I have unplugged all the inputs to the monitors too so they are just powered on and it remains, coming from both speakers.  When I unplug the right (slave) the left (master) still hisses/crackles. 

Any ideas - are they just dying and need replacing?  I had a quick google, but everything I could find talked about drivers for the interface etc, but given it is still problematic with everything disconnected from the monitors, I feel like all of that is eliminated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    SteveF said:

I have unplugged all the inputs to the monitors too so they are just powered on and it remains, coming from both speakers.  When I unplug the right (slave) the left (master) still hisses/crackles. 

It's seems an odd coincidence that both monitors have the problem when they're completely disconnected. In the past I've had one powered monitor develop a problem,

I recently had some noise/crackling from one of my monitors, which was cured by spraying the input jack with Servisol, then plugging it in and out a few times.

It's not a competition.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Apologies, I mean that when I unplug the right from the left, the right one goes silent (as there is no power running to it) and the crackle remains in the left speaker.  This is the case even when there is nothing plugged into the input. 

I just checked and when I plug in headphones directly to the output on the front of the monitors so it disconnects the speakers, the hiss stops and there is no hiss in the headphones. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Have you tried plugging them into a different mains socket or using a different mains cable? remote possibility it could be mains...
    Yes, I have tried a different socket.  They are actually plugged into a power conditioner anyway, so I wouldn't expect it to be that, but I have tried a normal wall socket too. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7888
    Sounds like a component is misbehaving in the amp section.  
    TheMarlin said:
    Sounds like a component is misbehaving in the amp section.  
    Wouldn't it also come through the headphones though? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    edited May 2020
    For those that do not know the E4.5's have both power amps in one speaker and use a speaker wire to connect to the other speaker.

It isn't my favourite configuration because when something happens the master speaker has to be repaired or replaced and that is usually more expensive than having a separate power amp in each speaker.
    It is cost effective for manufacturers to build like that though and at the price point the monitors come in at it is an understandable compromise.

It could be something simple like a cold solder join, or filter caps going bad but it doesn't really matter what the problem is.
    You can't safely fix this yourself, unless you are very confident with electronics.
    It is something I wouldn't attempt and I'm generally pretty comfortable with anything that isn't component level repair, which this almost certainly is.

@SteveF these are going to need to be repaired.
    If they are out of warranty then you might consider replacing them, as two hours of labour is beyond what they monitors cost to buy.
    Cheers @octatonic I thought that may be the case.  I'm handy with a soldering iron, but not clued up enough on this to find the fault itself I wouldn't have thought.  They will be out of warranty and I will probably just take the opportunity to replace them with something a little better.  At the time I got them I was after something cheap and they've done me a few years with no issues. 

Any particular recommendations for a set of active studio monitors in the 200-300 quid range? Maybe up to 350 max. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    IK Multimedia iLoud's, Yamaha HS5 or HS7.

The iLoud's are my mini monitors- I don't mix on them but they are very good for the money, although they are unbalanced.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    octatonic said:
    For those that do not know the E4.5's have both power amps in one speaker and use a speaker wire to connect to the other speaker...

I didn't realise that. Now it makes more sense.

SteveF said:

...Any particular recommendations for a set of active studio monitors in the 200-300 quid range? Maybe up to 350 max. 

I can vouch for HS7's as mentioned above, as that's what I use. I think a pair come in at just under (or close to) £350.

It's not a competition.