Led Zeppelin - When The Levee Breaks

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
The intro and first half of Led Zeppelin's 'When The Levee Breaks' is swampy, menacing, and drips with southern delta blues mojo.

The first 2m 26 seconds are stunning but I think all goes a bit tits up when they bring on the major key notes at 2m 26s, after that I'm not so keen until it goes back to the main groove but it really is a great song.

I hear shades of this in Johnny Marr's slide playing and on The Smiths 'How Soon Is Now?'

It doesn't sound much like Memphis Minnie's version who they credited it to (although she didn't write it)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I think it's a great end to a great album. I particularly like that cut-up guitar montage at the very end - which reminds me of the last part of Bieing For The Benefit Of Mr Kite. As if a wall of guitars has just collapsed in on itself. Page's production never fails to impress me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    That songs all about the drums to me. Even when I heard it as a kid and didn't know shit about recording and room mics that drum sound just sounded so epic. I used to ride around on my bike listening to it, the intro with just the drums was my favorite part 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    Great groove, I like the major key shift, because it makes the reintroduction of the main bluesey shift more effective. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I saw this thread and immediately said "Alexa play when the levee breaks"

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The problem I always find with Led Zeppelin is that almost all of their songs have great drumming, great bass, great guitar and occasionally great keyboard parts - sometimes all in the same song - but they're inevitably ruined at some point by either Plant's screeching and caterwauling or some musical change that jolts you out of the greatness. As such I've always had a very love/hate relationship with their music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    What a fabulous song (that I haven't heard for a great many years!). LZ4 was a mind blowing album for me.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I like the whole thing. It's a great track. Listening to the album now :)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I'll put it on too. I love how Levee swirls towards the end. Also the four crazy fills Bonham does after the slide fanfare.. lovely kick roll for one of them. My favourite band I think. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited May 2020
    I son't know if it's just my copy but does anyone else hear a loud single hi hat hit at 1m 34s?

what's that all about? Tape glitch?

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I son't know if it's just my copy but does anyone else hear a loud single hi hat hit at 1m 34s?

It's not your copy. I notice it every time I listen to the track.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    SidNewton said:

It's not as bad as his squeaky kick drum pedal on Since I've Been Loving You!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    SidNewton said:

I never noticed that before but not you've mentioned it .... it's quite glaring ! 

No automation back then, maybe someone accidentally took the mute off a tom mic or some other mic close to the HH very briefly during mixdown 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Nah the middle section heralded by the 12 string and slide part is meant to be a contrast, and it works perfectly. 

For those who haven’t heard it, the early demo put out on the Coda RI is fabulous as well, but shows how they decided to up the ante in the final version. 

I love all the songs on that record, even Four Sticks which a lot of people don’t seem to like. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    The Zeperella version is also excellent.