Fender BJ Warranty

What's Hot
monabrimonabri Frets: 3
I see Fender introduced a 2 year warranty on their amps from 2017. 

I bought my amp in 2016 and am struggling to find out if the warranty was for 5 years like in the US and Canada. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3325
    Best ask fender. 
    I take it you need to call on the warranty?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I thought it was only 1 year in Uk.  
  • monabrimonabri Frets: 3
    Yeah, I bought in in 2016 and....didn't use it..well, perhaps  no more than 5 hrs total (probably less). recently I thought I'd use it. It crapped out on me - one day it was fine, the next it sounded raspy and the volume was "low". I swapped out all valves (matched EL84s - new) and 12AX7s  (from a bassbreaker 45) to no avail.  Not very impressed with Fenders BJ amp to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    IIRC Fender UK warranty has been 2 years for a long time now. Calling @MattFGBI ?
    monabri said:
    Yeah, I bought in in 2016 and....didn't use it..well, perhaps  no more than 5 hrs total (probably less). recently I thought I'd use it. It crapped out on me - one day it was fine, the next it sounded raspy and the volume was "low". I swapped out all valves (matched EL84s - new) and 12AX7s  (from a bassbreaker 45) to no avail.  Not very impressed with Fenders BJ amp to be honest. 
    I bet R47 (2k2 2w) has blown. Will need replacing to get the amp working again.

I'm only 1 hour south of Birminhgam if you want me to repair it.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Yes it’s been a 2 year warranty for some time now. Excluding the valves which are generally 90 days.  

If you’d like it inspected send me a message and I’ll see what can be arranged. Just bear in mind everything is taking a bit longer than usual due to the current situation. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• monabrimonabri Frets: 3
    Both the R35 and R36 ( each 100 ohm, flameproof, 0.5W) had blown. Having checked the caps had discharged I tested all the resistors and found that these two were blown. I replaced them and all is fine. 

( first time I've repaired an amp so pretty pleased with myself). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    monabri said:
    Both the R35 and R36 ( each 100 ohm, flameproof, 0.5W) had blown. Having checked the caps had discharged I tested all the resistors and found that these two were blown. I replaced them and all is fine. 

( first time I've repaired an amp so pretty pleased with myself). 
    Those resistors being blown won't be the cause of the fault - they're the 'virtual centre tap' for the filament supply and if they're not present you just get more noise, not low volume - they are just the symptom.

If they have burned out that indicates a high-voltage short to the filament supply. It's most likely one of the power valves - if you've replaced them, that's good - this sort of fault can be intermittent, and if you haven't replaced them and it comes back it will blow the two new resistors.

Also have a good look at the valve PCB for arc spots like this...

... although I don't think that will be the cause here, they normally cause a short to the cathode trace (as here) and can then set the board on fire!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein