LPJ-style Stoptail/Wraparound Tailpiece Bushings/Inserts

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
edited May 2020 in Making & Modding

I just wanted to clarify something...I'm sure I've read that:
  • "Import" metric anchors/body inserts/bushings are 11mm
  • USA Gibson (Imperial) ones are wider at 13mm
That's correct, isn't it? Only I've found conflicting info online. Just wondered if I was going crazy.

Now, I've got a Jnr-style guitar (MIC) with a wraparound tailpiece which has a wee bit of "slop" in the posts (they lean forwards), so would it be appropriate to simply fit the larger insert?

NB. I'll also need a better quality stoptail/wraparound bridge, but that's another issue.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72371
    I don't think the Gibson ones are as large as 13mm - I'm not sure I've got any, but the two sizes I have are 11mm and 12mm. The only Gibson-thread posts I have seem to fit the 11mm bushings.

The other issue is the threads on the posts - there are at least three different ones, two in addition to the US one. So you would either need to match the threads, or replace the posts as well.

I'd probably just fit the inserts using high-strength epoxy - do it with the posts fully down in the inserts and some grease on the threads and the end of the post to stop the epoxy sticking to them if it's forced up inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Cheers! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom