Logic Pro stereo or mono track confusion

I’m hoping one of the Logic Pro experts might be able to help here.

I’m recording a few tracks where I’m using Ultrabeat, with multi-output to separate the drum sounds on to individual tracks. I thought I had virtually the same set up of each of my tracks, but I’ve noticed that some have mono Ultrabeat tracks, and others have stereo. I only really noticed because I was going to convert one of the kick tracks to mono.

I can’t see any obvious differences in how I’ve set up these projects, so I was wondering if anyone knew what I was doing wrong/differently?

I’ll attach some screenshots of two projects, one with mono tracks, one with stereo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That is a weird one, never noticed that myself. The signals still look mono judging by the meters, but logic has set the track up as stereo.... most odd. Wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't sound bad.

Bye!

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    I seem to remember that when you select what channel you want to send a drum from Ultrabeat on you can either choose a stereo channel (e.g. 3-4) or a mono one (3 or 4) - if you choose stereo, things like panning you do within Ultrabeat will translate to the main mixer. Or make it mono and do the panning in the main mixer. This is useful if there's a whole bunch of things you want to send out of Ultrabeat in a single bus, but keep separate in the panorama (for example different kinds of percussion). 

Or something. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    edited May 2020
    Sorry I missed this, @nonesuch ;

Ultrabeat is a weird plugin.
    Synthesised bass drums are mono, sampled bass drums are stereo.
    It is usually not noticed unless you use multi output plugin.

I haven't checked this functionality in 10.5 (where Ultrabeat is essentially replaced with the Drum Machine Designer).

If you want to change the mono/stereo orientation then use the gain plugin or direction mixer.
    Another way I make stereo plugins mono is to use the Waves S1 and fold the stereo down to mono.

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Looks to me like maybe you’ve selected the multi out version of the plugin (judging by the plus sign on the bottom) have you tried re-selecting the vst? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    Ultrabeat is one of Logic's artificial intelligence Drummer "Instrument" options. It only exists as an Audio Units DAW plug-in, not as a standalone VST.

Synthesized drum/percussions sounds will usually be mono. Sampled drums may include some early reflections content. This ought to work in either format but stereo reflections will sound more credible.

I shall take a butcher's into Logic and see where the stereo/mono switching occurs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    I've found out what was going on I think. On some Ultrabeat channels I'd added a gain plugin, which would keep it stereo, but on other tracks I'd copied a gain plug-in from another (mono) channel, which has converted the Ultrabeat channel to mono as well.

So to convert a stereo channel to mono, I can option-click to insert a mono gain plug-in. Or vice versa.

Haven't looked at the Drum Machine Designer yet...
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Forgive my ignorance (Reaper user here-mostly) but if the stereo track is panned to centre, would that not have the same outcome as a mono signal ?, in Reaper there is a width control which narrows the signal, and when checked in mono the full signal is present. I only dabble with Logic, and when presented with the choice I use a mono track for kick and snare usually, which are always down the centre. I check stuff for mono-but don't mix specifically, so I am interested.
    Logic 10.5 has got me using it more-as the new sampler is fantastic-if a bit cryptic sometimes.
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    andy_k said:
    Forgive my ignorance (Reaper user here-mostly) but if the stereo track is panned to centre, would that not have the same outcome as a mono signal ?
    I suppose if you had a stereo effect on the channel it wouldn't be mono anymore. I have got a stereo reverb on some of the drums, and I was just making sure the kick drum was still mono.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    nonesuch said:
    andy_k said:
    Forgive my ignorance (Reaper user here-mostly) but if the stereo track is panned to centre, would that not have the same outcome as a mono signal ?
    I suppose if you had a stereo effect on the channel it wouldn't be mono anymore. I have got a stereo reverb on some of the drums, and I was just making sure the kick drum was still mono.
    I try and work with stereo busses anyway, and work towards stems, stuff that has a lot of bass tends to be mono-clean bass, kick drums, and this is usually mixed to the centre to ensure it doesn't get lost when a mix is listened to on a mono system. As such, I wouldn't be putting a stereo effect on a mono track itself-I send stuff to FX busses, which are then bounced as stereo stems. Mono ( bass )signals are kept centred and Mono as much as possible-for me anyway.
    Many ways to get many results, there is no right or wrong really, it's all good.