Interfaces

What's Hot
My son’s decided he needs to upgrade from his 2i4. He needs phantom power for his mic, but doesn’t want it on all channels.
So he wants,say, 4 inputs, with switchable phantom on individual channels. It needs to be usb connected to a Windows 10 pc.
What recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5387
    I don't know enough to make a hard and fast recommendation, but I've just switched from using a 2-channel i/f to using a Zoom H6, and the Zoom does everything you've listed.

I originally bought it (off that nice Mr @WiresDreamDisasters ) as a decent "in the room" recorder for band rehearsals. Those are obviously on hold, and I lent my other i/f to a friend so had to work out how to make the Zoom work :)

It does take a little bit of digging through, and RTFM, but you've got 4 inputs (XLR/jack), plus the two "magic" ones depending what attachment you put on; individual gain adjustment; individual phantom on/off on the four inputs; little on-screen mixer for levels etc.

Essentially it's a lot more clever than me.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    A bigger version of what he has now? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Audient ID44 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nectarnectar Frets: 8
    I have an Audient ID14 (smaller sibling of the ID44 octatonic suggested above with fewer channels) and can confirm that they are nice for the price-point. It looks like the ID44 can't be powered just by USB (you need to plug in the power adaptor) but otherwise the ID44 would be great.
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 86
    Id44 is tremendous. 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited May 2020
    I have an ID44, excellent, but you don't have to spend that kind of money.

Steinberg UR44?

My rotary encoder on the ID44 is a bit crackley. Must email audient customer support. There also seems to have been quite a few issues with failures judging by the FB group.

If I was buying now, I probably wouldn't get it, but I bought not long after release.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    octatonic said:
    Audient ID44 
    a plus one for the id44, not the cheapest but a good all round interface and expandable