roland Fantom 7 is calling.....

Not sure I need a lot of what it has - I certainly dont need a one board does it all.

It would replace my FA07 - and does add several things I would like (mainly hardware/control stuff rather than sounds), and the real time synth engine control - with a real analogue filter is a draw (despite having that on my Peak - and also a Virus Ti2 desktop).

BUT Ive found a steal of a price.  Been hunting prices for a while, and came across a strange add. Great price, and open to offers....

Worried and intrigued at the same time, I made contact.  Turns out the seller isnt a shop, but normally provides instruments for the education system (Universities, colleges etc).  He doesnt have a shop - he sells direct, and ships direct from Roland UK.  With no overheads, and being used to tighter margins than retail his price was already good, and we have a deal if I want one, and if Roland have one in stock.

Hes only placed his adds because with education shut down he obviously has no income, and any sale (that isnt at a loss) is a bonus for him at present.  Not sure if he really should be doing this (though I guess no rules against it) - shops might get miffed.  BUT its nearly £200 less than any new price I can find.  AND its well under the odd Ex demo price as well.

Not sure I can resist at that price......  Thought?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Do it.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Your be amazed how often huge amounts of electronic equipment is sold by guys at home with no real business premises, I know one guy who sells thousands of TV's to supermarkets ... working from home and another guy turning over millions selling Dell computers and 3D printers on a farm

I'm after a decent WS myself as I need to get the size of my rig down so want to move away from the laptop and VI's despite them ultimately being the better option. There's only so much gear you can get it a splitter van and currently i'm putting in large controller kb, laptop, audio interface ..all hard cased
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    My take is do it if you want to, but it's a still gonna be a big chunk of cash and weight into an already big expensive rig.

I'm going in the opposite direction - picked up a modx7 and am creating setups that can work with the single board for rehearsals / small or quick changeover gigs like festivals, but also make use of the extra keyboard when I hook a 2nd up for gigs where i need it to look like more of a 80s rock rig.

The modx is very light, great value for what it can do, and the only real downside is that the keybed is only passable rather than good even for synth action. I can cope with that though for the other benefits, even for piano parts.

I reckon you'll go for the fantom and it will be a fantastic addition. Just the build quality and keys will feel good I imagine before you even turn it on!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited May 2020
    All those are fair points.

I think if I wasnt doing the 80s thing specifically, it would be an easier choice.   Id pick up the Fantom to go with the RD and sell off the Peak/Virus (and once the VR engine hits the Fantom the Legend as well).

I wouldnt need so much dedicated synth stuff for non 80s cover material.  I could use the fantom for those rehearsals and quick change gigs - and add the RDs weighted action for others.  

I guess Im thinking long term as well - as the band/s probably wont last forever and I can down size at that time.   In the mean time - Im not adding more kit really (more cost sure) - as its a 76 note board for a 76 note board.  Just a few Kg extra weight.  Set up/tear down will be no different.

It did have me considering a Kronos - but they only do 61 note in synth action (id rather have 73/76) - and while it sounds great I struggle with the screen (Ive tried).  Its pretty small really for the information displayed - and when I tried to use it my fingers kept triggering the wrong thing (as they do on my phone as well - its me not Kronos).   When I tried the Fantom back in Jan I had no such problems with its screen.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I know I'm more weight conscious (feeble!) - my Forte7 is a quality hammer action and only 1kg heavier than the fantom 7, and I find that a pain for lugging around. I'd want a roadie if I had your RD! I'm also probably much happier to be in the ball park soundwise than feeling the need to be too precisely accurate. I can imagine that nailing the sounds is part of the appeal / enjoyment for you though?

One other downside of the modx is the lack of aftertouch now I think of it.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    edited May 2020
    Oh yes.  if I didnt need to nail them - I could do everything with the FA nad RD.   I do so love the Peak.Ti2 though just for noodling.  I can loose myself for hours.

What the Fantom would add of great help is;

1.  Aftertouch as neither FA/RD has it.

2.  Zone control - the RD has this and its a brill live control, AND it also has the switch groups the FA has. Both on one board ... I cant think of a better way to control internal and external sound generation in a live environment, in real time without menus.

3.  The analogue filter in the synth engine - and the digital ones being modeled on Jupiter, Profit and Mini Moog filters. Perfect for the 80s thing.

4.  TR style  rhythm creations - I dont actually have anything thats easy to do rhythm patterns on - wouldnt be used in the band but might well spart my personal creative side.   I do keep thinking of a TR8s.  It does have a lot more than the Fantom in the rhythmic sense - but the actual pattern creation is the same which I think would be 90% of what Id need from a Tr8s.

The way the Rolands work is different to the Peak/Ti2.  It doesnt have anywhere near the mod matrix capabilities of either - though they have at least added LFO and Envs as sources and destinations.  There are only 2 LFos and only Filter and Amp envelopes mind.  Obviously Peak and Ti2 offer a lot more in that way.  BUT Fantom has 4 oscillators per patch v 3 on the others - AND each Oscillator can have its own filter, LFOs and envelopes.  That just means it can do things the others cant within one sound (and vica versa with the matrix on the others of course).  As Fantom has normal and Step LFOs you can create some really good rhythmic intertwining sounds in one tone.

Finally - over the FA, the UI with real knobs for synth stuff and a great touch screen for both control and visual feedback - well its in another league in that respect.

Obviously a lot of what Fantom offers I have already - the V-Pianois and SN EPs are in the RD.  The switch groups are on the FA as is a VA engine (if more limited).  I have an analogue filter on Peak, and a modelled moog one on the Virus.  A lot of the Zen Core sounds are just ported sounds from FA/Integra - though they are adding a lot more historic supernatural sounds (particularly the acoustic stuff) than they did for FA.   

Im sure there are other positives with Fantom - but those are the ones drawing me to it.