Bright Analog Delay pedals?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
I’m looking for tips for a good analog delay with a bright treble response, preferably with delay time of >600ms.  Mostly playing bass now and while I love the analog delay sound, they often sound too dark for my taste. Previously I had the Echoplex, which I loved but it was just a bit too murky at longer delay times.

Anyone with experience of the carbon copy deluxe? I’d be keen to hear thoughts on it, esp using the bright switch at longer repeat times. Anything else I should try? Currently using a DD-7 which is fine but I’d ideally like to find something a bit less vanilla sounding. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Not tried the CC Deluxe, but the WH Echo Puss is one of the brighter analog delays I've tried.  I think it tops out at 600ms though.  Not sure if the Supa Puss is similarly voiced, but that definitely goes longer.

If you don't mind digital analog-voiced delay, then the Brigadier is really, really good.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    MXR Carbon Copy Bright? Or the Mini which has switchable bright and normal modes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I think the DOD Rubberneck has a tone dial...
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12923
    DOD Rubberneck has a fairly flexible tone control, it's also definitely not "vanilla" thanks to its other features.

Might also be worth checking out the Boss RE-20 which again has EQ controls and is a lot of fun. Its analog "sounding" rather than true analog though.

Also is this not why the Carbon Copy Bright exists? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Way Huge Aqua Puss.or Echo Puss

Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    If you look on page 7 of the Carbon Copy Deluxe manual it it describes what happens when you engage the Bright switch:
    +4.5dB @ 1.5kHz
    -3dB @ 200Hz
    - i.e a boost in the upper mids and a cut in the lower mids.
    Analog delays are rarely 'trebly' bright.

Way Huge Super Puss has a tone control - I think someone was selling one on here.

I do this sort of thing with my EHX Memory Man 1100TT but using an MXR 6-band graphic in the loop - this should give you an idea of how EQ affects analog delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjh_rnylAJ0
    tFB Trader
    The darkness of analog delays isn't because they are intrinsically dark it's because they tend to create high frequency noise so shelving a bit off makes them sound less noisy.

A brighter delay will tend to be hissy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6088
    DOD Rubberneck has a fairly flexible tone control, it's also definitely not "vanilla" thanks to its other features.

Might also be worth checking out the Boss RE-20 which again has EQ controls and is a lot of fun. Its analog "sounding" rather than true analog though.

Also is this not why the Carbon Copy Bright exists? 
    I’ve tried the Rubberneck a couple of times (with guitar) and never jelled with it. Definitely not vanilla as you say but the tone, although bright, didn’t appeal and I couldn’t find any use for the rubberneck effect even used mildly. Perhaps I should give it another try with 4 string, it def has the required brightness.

Prior to falling for the Echoplex, the RE20 was my favourite delay but I couldn’t get the repeats to stand out enough, something the Echoplex has no problem with.

The Carbon Copy Bright has been finished I believe but is still available. The max 600ms is slightly under what would be ideal - hence enquiring about the Deluxe, which has the bright switch and longer repeat time.
    Way Huge Aqua Puss.or Echo Puss

Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail.
    Thanks for the recommendations, the Way Huge pedals seem a popular choice, I’ll look at some vids.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2288
    Just remembered the Boss DM-2w - that's pretty bright in Custom mode, and goes to about 800ms. You do get some hiss, but there's always that trade-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaQvYvuAQk

The darkness of analog delays isn't because they are intrinsically dark it's because they tend to create high frequency noise so shelving a bit off makes them sound less noisy.

Yeah, something I’ve noticed in the past. I had the Memery Man 550 for a while and while the repeats were gorgeously lush, I couldn’t get past the noise it added.

Keefy said:
    If you look on page 7 of the Carbon Copy Deluxe manual it it describes what happens when you engage the Bright switch:
    +4.5dB @ 1.5kHz
    -3dB @ 200Hz
    - i.e a boost in the upper mids and a cut in the lower mids.
    Analog delays are rarely 'trebly' bright.

Way Huge Super Puss has a tone control - I think someone was selling one on here.

I do this sort of thing with my EHX Memory Man 1100TT but using an MXR 6-band graphic in the loop - this should give you an idea of how EQ affects analog delay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjh_rnylAJ0
    Thanks for this, very helpful, I’ll check out the video.
    edited May 2020
    Keefy said:
    Just remembered the Boss DM-2w - that's pretty bright in Custom mode, and goes to about 800ms. You do get some hiss, but there's always that trade-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjaQvYvuAQk
    I have one of these - I’d say it’s still definitely on the warm side of things, but it’s less dark than some analogue delays I’ve tried. I also find it pretty quiet as analogue delays go. It’s still slightly darker than a Deluxe Memory Man for instance 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited May 2020
    JezWynd said:

Yeah, something I’ve noticed in the past. I had the Memery Man 550 for a while and while the repeats were gorgeously lush, I couldn’t get past the noise it added.
    <snipped>
    Yeah, I've had an Echo Puss and a Rubberneck, and both got hissy for me when running the tone control brighter.  The Echo Puss was voiced brighter in general, so easier to find a happy medium, but the Rubberneck sounded far happier when in murkier territory.

That's where the Brig excels...you can dial down the bucket loss, and brighten the repeats without adding any extra hiss.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • lukemarklukemark Frets: 2
    Maxon AD999 is great for this - as far as I understand it uses 8 chips to get its 900ms of delay so doesn't need as much filtering of the treble to reduce noise.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Embrace the hiss! ;)
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    joetele said:
    Embrace the hiss! ;)
    I really should and if I was playing lead guitar the trade off would be worthwhile but I find hiss really annoying.

Perhaps I should add that max budget is 200ish (but would prefer not to get into ish territory if possible).
    JezWynd said:
    joetele said:
    Embrace the hiss! ;)
    I really should and if I was playing lead guitar the trade off would be worthwhile but I find hiss really annoying.

Perhaps I should add that max budget is 200ish (but would prefer not to get into ish territory if possible).
    Maybe try a TC Flashback 2 and make your own analogue-style preset(s)
    tFB Trader
    The deep blue isn't actually analog but sounds very much like it is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    JezWynd said:

Anything else I should try?
    A DD-2 or earlier DD-3.

Really. Although it's a digital delay, only the delay line itself is digital (and only 12-bit as well) - the whole feedback loop and mixing section is analogue - and it sounds more like a very clean analogue delay than it does like a modern digital. Delay time is up to 800mS.

Modern DD-3s don't sound quite as good to me, but still less bland than the later versions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7174
    Chase Bliss Tonal Recall Red Knob Mod fits the bill perfectly, but be prepared to pay for it