Locking Tuners on Acoustics?

What's Hot
Hi all,

So I was changing strings on my Martin and idly wondering...why don't acoustic guitars, particularly high-end ones, come with locking tuners? Is there some engineering-based reason for that or is it down to tradition? If the latter, what locking tuners would anyone recommend for an acoustic? I might give it a shot.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Pretty much all tradition, but there isn't usually much advantage anyway. I've fitted a couple of sets for people who want to switch between tunings quickly - they reduce the problem of slipping, especially if you quickly tune down to a note. The ones I would recommend are whichever fit the same footprint and screw holes as the existing tuners - there's not enough difference in the effectiveness of the locking ones that its worth messing up the guitar to fit a different type.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    I like locking tuners, and regard non-locking ones as primitive. I fitted a set of Hipshot open gear tuners to my Taylor GS mini and think they're perfect. They are small and light and easy to fit. They come with a nifty set of backing plates so you don't have to modify your guitar if you don't want to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    Good question, not one I’ve ever really thought about! ICBM probably has it - tradition rules :) I know I would rather have a beautiful set of Robsons on my acoustic than any locking tuners I can think of. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    ICBM said:
    Pretty much all tradition, but there isn't usually much advantage anyway. I've fitted a couple of sets for people who want to switch between tunings quickly - they reduce the problem of slipping, especially if you quickly tune down to a note. The ones I would recommend are whichever fit the same footprint and screw holes as the existing tuners - there's not enough difference in the effectiveness of the locking ones that its worth messing up the guitar to fit a different type.

I use a lot of different open tunings but I've never had a problem with using standard (open gear) tuners from my experiences a badly cut nut will make huge differences to tuning. I've never used locking tuners, what are the advantages?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72352

I use a lot of different open tunings but I've never had a problem with using standard (open gear) tuners from my experiences a badly cut nut will make huge differences to tuning. I've never used locking tuners, what are the advantages?
    Slightly quicker string changes, and zero unnecessary windings on the post. But if you use the half-back-turn-and-lock-under method with normal tuners, both are very marginal.

I agree about the nut making a bigger difference to tuning accuracy/stability, but once that’s been sorted then high quality locking tuners might make a tiny extra difference, simply by eliminating any possible movement of the string on the post.

I wouldn’t bother either, personally - I’ve only done it because I’ve been asked to! I don’t really find any advantage to them. I also never tune down to a note, but I know some people find it hard to learn not to do that.

Some types also have the disadvantage that if the lock won’t undo easily you need a tool to release it, which can be a pain if you’re in a hurry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    I love locking tuners for the convenience of string changes.  I'd like to have them on all my guitars, but I don't love enough to go through the time, effot, and cost to change them over.

The other thing to think about is the ratio.  I do prefer some of the more modern ones with a 16:1 or 18:1 ratio.
    ICBM said:

Slightly quicker string changes, and zero unnecessary windings on the post. But if you use the half-back-turn-and-lock-under method with normal tuners, both are very marginal.

I agree about the nut making a bigger difference to tuning accuracy/stability, but once that’s been sorted then high quality locking tuners might make a tiny extra difference, simply by eliminating any possible movement of the string on the post.

I wouldn’t bother either, personally - I’ve only done it because I’ve been asked to! I don’t really find any advantage to them. I also never tune down to a note, but I know some people find it hard to learn not to do that.

Some types also have the disadvantage that if the lock won’t undo easily you need a tool to release it, which can be a pain if you’re in a hurry.

Thanks for the info @ICBM.

I find acoustic guitars often use heavier strings and have higher actions than electric guitars, and from my experiences anyway I've had less gripes with tuning than with electrics. I can imagine why users of short scale guitars like a GS Mini might want the marginal gains of locking tuners.

I've never had a problem with tuning with my acoustics. My favourite tuners are the run of the mill open gear 18 ratio Grovers, cheap, smooth and easy to get hold off.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I fit locking tuners to all of my own acoustic builds, but generally don't bother changing them if I get a bought one.

As @ICBM says,  the backloop method of locking a string on a standard post is just as effective.

So why do I fit them? I just find it easier.  On non-locking, I can't tell you how many times I've misjudged and ended up with too many winds or too few winds.  But that probably reflects more about my competence than anything to do with design. ;)
  • bermudianbritbermudianbrit Frets: 171
    any recommendations for the best locking tuners for acoustics? I have a Martin if that helps?
    I fit locking tuners to all of my own acoustic builds, but generally don't bother changing them if I get a bought one.

As ICBM says,  the backloop method of locking a string on a standard post is just as effective.

So why do I fit them? I just find it easier.  On non-locking, I can't tell you how many times I've misjudged and ended up with too many winds or too few winds.  But that probably reflects more about my competence than anything to do with design. ;)
    Interesting, what tuners do you like the most for acoustics?

FWIW, I've not found the backloop method to make much difference I've found with the right amount of 'free string' around 1 or 1.5 frets extra per string seems to work a treat.