Advice on replacing a fretboard on a Tele neck

What's Hot
I had the board radius flattened to 9.5" about two years back by our very own Feline, and they did a superb, superb, amazing job. Amazing fretwork too.

But I'm missing the 7.25" radius, as stupid as that may sound.

It's been reworked once and there's probably too little of the board left to re-radius. So can a fretboard be taken off and replaced and finished well enough to look like new? Doesn't seem like I'm getting much luck finding a decent replacement neck.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    edited May 2020
    Yes it can, easier if it's a separate fretboard already, but not impossible if it isn't.  

You may actually still be able to re-radius what you have... Depends on overall neck thickness  and how far the side dots are from the edge.  Certainly the easiest option if it's viable.

Veneer boards are not easy to replace or rework, but since it's already been re-radiused  I'm guessing it doesn't have one of those.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    I'm missing the 7.25" radius, as stupid as that may sound.
    Not stupid at all. 

Counterintuitively, some moves are easier to execute on a vintage radius, skinny frets and a medium high action. Others are easier on 9.5”, medium jumbo frets and and low action. Modern widdly moves are easier on a compound fingerboard radius and huge frets. 

Having the stock fingerboard flattened deprived the neck of some of its overall thickness. (We are talking millimetres but that is enough to affect how a neck feels in the hand.) Changing to taller fret wire could compensate for the removed wood but will also leave the neck feeling scalloped. 

In true tFB fashion, the correct solution is to have two Telecasters.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Yes it can, easier if it's a separate fretboard already, but not impossible if it isn't.  

You may actually still be able to re-radius what you have... Depends on overall neck thickness  and how far the side dots are from the edge.  Certainly the easiest option if it's viable.

Veneer boards are not easy to replace or rework, but since it's already been re-radiused  I'm guessing it doesn't have one of those.
    Any idea who can do this for me?  @WezV ;

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    A new neck?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    A new neck?
    I've considered it, but this one has the serial number on the back, a new MiJ would have a different serial. No bigge, I guess, but still. Also, I want a Fender branded neck and like the shape of this one and the vintage tint. And as much as I've tried, I can't find a replacement MiJ '62 Reissue Tele Neck, unfortunately.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2020
    Get another Tele and keep that one   ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:
    It's crossed my mind, must admit. Am hoping that this would come at a fraction of the cost of a new one...though with the money I've spent on it already, it's a stupidly false economy!

Freebird said:
    It's crossed my mind, must admit. Am hoping that this would come at a fraction of the cost of a new one...though with the money I've spent on it already, it's a stupidly false economy!
    Is it the MIJ Tele?
  • Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Is it the MIJ Tele?
    Yes. I should have left it as is, because that's what I want to return it to. I'm a ridiculous person.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    WezV said:

It's not something I am doing at the moment, still not got all my tools set up for it after my recent move
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Is it the MIJ Tele?
    Yes. I should have left it as is, because that's what I want to return it to. I'm a ridiculous person.
    My Baja Tele has a 9.5" radius, but I also like the 7.25" radius on my Strat. I think you should have one of each  :)
  • WezV said:
    WezV said:

It's not something I am doing at the moment, still not got all my tools set up for it after my recent move
    No worries, mate, if you know of anyone else, let me know.
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Is it the MIJ Tele?
    My Baja Tele has a 9.5" radius, but I also like the 7.25" radius on my Strat. I think you should have one of each  :)
    My tastes have changed a bit and I'm back in the vintage camp. :-) I've always had 7.25" until recently and just fancy going back to it