Bridge upgrades for a junior special?

What's Hot
Anybody know if there are any bridge upgrades on the market for Gibson  les Paul specials.
I could do with one that allows a little more adjustment on the saddles to fine tune the low E string on mine.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    What bridge is on it now - a Nashville? Are you using particularly heavy strings?

It's possible to flip the saddle backwards to give a bit more scope but depending on the exact bridge it's not particularly easy, with circlips and the like. 

If the bridge is a Schaller with the bowtie style wire retainers it's not too bad:
    https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2013/11/14/replacing-the-saddles-in-a-nashville-bridge/
  • It’s the Nashville type of bridge with 9’s
    Low E seems to sound a bit dull as well tbh, are the saddles prone to wear?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    It’s the Nashville type of bridge with 9’s
    Low E seems to sound a bit dull as well tbh, are the saddles prone to wear?
    To be honest I would try either 10s, or if you like the flexibility on the top strings, 9-46s. Heavier wound strings usually intonate shorter than lighter ones if anything, and you'll get a more 'solid' sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    I'm surprised it won't intonate though.
  • Thx chaps,
    ive got a set of nanoweb 10’s I might put on, also gonna get the bridge off to have a look.Can anyone recommend a better replacement bridge than the original?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    edited May 2020
    I have a mid-Noughties LP Junior Special. (Essentially, a Special sans fingerboard binding and separate ToM bridge and stopbar tailpiece rather than a wraparound.) The only thing “wrong“ with my stock bridge is the fact that it is finished in chrome rather than nickel.

are the saddles prone to wear?
    Yes, in the sense that it is necessary to start a string guiding notch in each of the blank saddles. 

If the notch is not well cut and rounded, the wraps around a wound string could snag on any rough edges. 

If the notches in the OP saddles were made for, say, 010-048 gauge strings, the poor wee 042 will be lolling about in an outsized groove. 

For the benefit of the repairers, my LPJS sports 010-046 strings. The break point of the D saddle is midway along the available adjustment range.

gonna get the bridge off to have a look.
    Please take and post photographs of your bridge and strings in their current state. This may help to explain the issue. It could save you the cost of unnecessary replacement parts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks funkfingers,
    I’ll have a closer look n get some pics