Ambient guitar pedals

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    For a guy who isn't really into ambient i do seem to have put together a rather ambient board...

(one of the Moby Dicks will be leaving - huge fan of the 'normal one' but I managed to find a Dark one to compare it. The Kilobyte does the tape thing quite well so hoping the Dark Moby contrasts a bit against that. I just couldn't resist sharing a pic...)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    For a guy who isn't really into ambient i do seem to have put together a rather ambient board...

(one of the Moby Dicks will be leaving - huge fan of the 'normal one' but I managed to find a Dark one to compare it. The Kilobyte does the tape thing quite well so hoping the Dark Moby contrasts a bit against that. I just couldn't resist sharing a pic...)
    How are you finding the SD-2?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The SD-2 is excellent. I'm amazed it doesn't get more love. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    It sure is! I purged my board for a HX Stomp and the SD-2 and Echoplex are the only survivors. It’s a brilliant pedal, glorious sparkly OD via crunch channel and the lead is fat and juicy.
  • DTSBDTSB Frets: 5
    edited June 2020
    I'm really super impressed with the EHX attack decay.
    been waiting for these features for like 3 decades.

[hint : yes, it's primarily a swell pedl, BUT it's not just another slow gear - it takes care of a lot of the gripes and the playability issues that kept the slow gear from really taking off when it first came out]

it really is super well thought out - just a beautiful pedal and reasonably priced to boot

my only real criticism are

I do wish they would allow for external memory switching (through midi, etc) and maybe app programming a'la source audio one series or TC toneprint

The poly mode is brilliant - NOW it does have artifacting (the artifacting can be sort of burbley interesting, but that's sort of a silver lining). it would be nice to see if they could clean tat up, but there are technical limits and I think it's just where they arein the development of that digital processing rather than a "mistake"

but I'm a grouch so I'l have a gripe about anything

but eriously, I'm really impressed. I had one for a month or 2 and though (oh, they should allow different curves) - I was going to write them but then...duh I looked in he manual and they already had it

somebody actually sat down and thought about what they'd want in a swell pedal

It sure is! I purged my board for a HX Stomp and the SD-2 and Echoplex are the only survivors. It’s a brilliant pedal, glorious sparkly OD via crunch channel and the lead is fat and juicy.
    Yeah I like it a lot. I may even buy a remote switch for it  :o
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3028
    edited June 2020
    This is a fun and interesting journey. My pedalboard is changing, here’s the latest (minus Iron Horse)

I’m finding ways of getting pads and drones, using the Slo latching pad, or making loops with a Ditto x4. Getting a constant drone, or a simple chord sequence is straight forward, need to develop different sections. Also need to work on the sounds or hooks to overlay the washy background. I have an OBNE whitecap on the way, I’m missing tremolo since selling the Flint. I could do with pedals for something octavy, synthy, glitchy or appregiator-y. Having the looper at the end of the chain is also a bit limiting as you can’t manipulate the loops.

Other developments, following a The Pedal Zone episode, I’ve started connecting IOS apps on my phone/ipad into the pedals. This is a revelation, manipulating the noise created by the apps is so cool. Anyone else do this? Might be worthy of its own thread.

https://youtu.be/TAAj0R6T0_Y

Another thing that is interesting me, using electronic instruments on the board and using a mixer. See the video below, he’s using a Teenage Engineering PO12 for beats into a Korg Monologue delay, mixing it in with the rest using a cheap Behringer mixer. Has an interesting board and good videos, Hvybones