Rattling pin in valve socket

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
edited May 2020 in Making & Modding
On the valve holder for a gz34 - one of the little sockets for the pin is a bit loose and rattles under volume. Is there any way to get this to stay in place (bend it to fill the hole/superglue?) or do I have to replace the whole valve holder?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    If it's one of the unused pins you can remove it altogether. Snap off the bit above the socket and the pin grip should just fall out.

Don't use superglue whatever you do, it will burn off under the heat from the valve and emit extremely nasty fumes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    ICBM said:
    If it's one of the unused pins you can remove it altogether. 
    Should have said - not unused. How are they secured in the first place? Is it just the shape of the socket which holds them in the hole? Should I just bend the socket outwards so it fills the plastic hole better?
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Actually, come to think about it, once the valve is in it seems to stop the socket from rattling. Must be something else. Maybe it's the tube itself. The quest continues.
    hessodreamy said:

Should have said - not unused. How are they secured in the first place? Is it just the shape of the socket which holds them in the hole? Should I just bend the socket outwards so it fills the plastic hole better?
    There are two basic types, a 'tube' which has a little non-return tab, and a flat 'fork' which is turned sideways above the socket base. (And some variations on these.)

Don't bend it outwards, that will make a poor contact it it's one of the used pins - there should be five on a rectifier, although only four are actually 'live'. If you need to tighten it, bend it *inwards* slightly so it grips the valve pin better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    What non-conductive pin bending tool do you recommend, sir?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I don’t - I use a large safety pin usually, it’s just the right size. Make sure the amp is off, unplugged from the wall and the caps are drained - which is easy on a valve-rectified amp... remove the rectifier, then power the amp up again for a minute or two. The caps will drain through the other valves and can’t recharge with no rectifier. Then turn off and unplug.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom