What to upgrade? Imac vs Interface

What's Hot
So I've stupidly bought a late 2015 21,5" iMac which is not upgradable. the specs are:

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Processor 3,1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
1 TB disk 5,400 rpm

It's slow and frustrating to work on either photo editing or in garage band.

I'm also having a latency problem when playing with S-Gear even in the lowest buffer settings but I'm not sure if it's the interface causing it also (I'm connected to the PC via an iRig HD) as I had the same latency problem when connecting it to my iphone.

So, what are my options? Would getting a new interface lower my latency issue or have no impact as it's caused by a slow iMac? Would it be a better bet to resort to a external SSD disk?

____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Can you not throw more RAM in it?
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Nope, it's soldered in.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    It's interesting as Ive never really known my iMacs slow down...

Be good to check your Photos, and especially to delete the 'deleted' photos in iPhoto.

Also check your storage (and hence what uses your storage in 'About My Mac'.

Adding more RAM will certainly help, and is easy to do. Not sure if 21" can be upgraded though... you'll have to check.

Buy from Crucial Memory.
    OK, yeah RAM in that model is not upgradeable.
    Bugger.

Start with a backup format and reinstall of the operating system.

Be good to check your Photos, and especially to delete the 'deleted' photos in iPhoto.

Adding more RAM will certainly help, and is easy to do. Not sure if 21" can be upgraded though... you'll have to check.

Buy from Crucial Memory.

I've cleaned up the iMac: photos, unused docs, etc. My storage capacity is now at approximately 50%. I cannot ad more RAM as late 2015 21,5" iMacs are not upgradable - everything is soldered into the pc.
    ____
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    You got me thinking....

I've just cleaned up my 2013 Macbook Pro...

Released over 36GB via storage in about my Mac

fnpt said:

Buy from Crucial Memory.

I've cleaned up the iMac: photos, unused docs, etc. My storage capacity is now at approximately 50%. I cannot ad more RAM as late 2015 21,5" iMacs are not upgradable - everything is soldered into the pc.
    A completely fresh copy of the operating system will give you the best performance possible.
    Don't install over the top, don't use migration or any restore because you'll just replace any issues you currently have.
    Drag copy the data from your backup and reinstall all applications.

If that doesn't work then sell it- but I think it will be acceptable for most people.
    The biggest issue is going to be the hard drive.
    Do you have thunderbolt?
    Adding an external SSD for audio data will help.
    edited May 2020
    That’s what I’m considering. An external sdd disk via thunderbolt as the boot.
    ____
    Added a Samsung T5 external ssd disk. Night and day in booting times and opening apps. Didn't help much in terms of latency but I'll settle for the 6,5 ms for now.
    ____
  • I use a similar spec and it's fine for latency,  I do need to get a external drive.

I use a presonus interface and I am not having any issues, though the  programmes do seem slow to start up

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I never worry about latency ?....I listen to the input signal ....what’s the problem with that ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    That iMac isn't slow, either the loads screwed or the internal harddrive has issues though.

I would reload it first. Simply turn on and hold CMD-Alt and R to start internet recovery and then use disc utility to verify the disk. Then make a new partition and reload OSX. 
    Then I bet it will be fine. 

My own music  iMac is 2007 with 4Gb ram and internal 320Gb disc and it's fine for music
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But that would mean losing all information stored in the Mac right?
    ____
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    Well you back up your photo's and docs first obviously.

Your be amazed what a difference a clean load makes .. far more of a difference than adding another 8Gb of ram. I have a test load of OSX on a USB drive  I use to prove to customers it;s not the machine...  it's the load.

Oh and if you do reload it stay away from Catalina for the moment, use High Sierra or Mojave
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    ____
    spark240 said:
    I never worry about latency ?....I listen to the input signal ....what’s the problem with that ?

If you're recording with direct monitoring it's fine, but I use S-Gear for general playing as well and the latency is noticeable.
    ____