bluesey folky parlour for 200 quid?

What's Hot
rossirossi Frets: 1703
I have 200 quid to squander on a little parlour for  garden noodling purposes.Any favorites like the  Jim Dandy or a Fender  CP 60's .
thanks .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Vintage V300mh with enough left over for some Martin monel strings, sorted!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Check out the bargain Recording King from Thomann ATM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Check out the bargain Recording King from Thomann ATM
    That’s the correct answer at the moment 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    zepp76 said:
    This.

Although I haven't tried Monels on mine yet... I hated them on my Gibson! But the Vintage is fitted with a soundhole pickup and I want to use it for overdriven sounds, so they may be ideal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I'm totally digging my Vintage Viator at the moment too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:
    This.

Although I haven't tried Monels on mine yet... I hated them on my Gibson! But the Vintage is fitted with a soundhole pickup and I want to use it for overdriven sounds, so they may be ideal.
    The Martin retro Monel’s just seem to suit all mahogany acoustics. I haven’t tried them on spruce top acoustics yet.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    I’ve had them on my bluesy small-bodied (not quite a parlour) Loar and I think they suited it very well. It’s a spruce top, but definitely worth a try on a small-bodied, mahogany back and sides guitar that you tend to fingerpick rather than strum.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    So far I think Vintage Paul Brett  Viator VTR 800  or Vintage V300 mahogany  but maybe upgrade to an electro version of either.I also want to buy from a UK store to help keep em going .The Monel strings sound interesting .The last set of proper acoustic strings I bought was an original set of Epiphone USA heavies way back when .They improved my Harmony Sovereign for about a week of  frantic flat picking before going off.They also  literaly wore out the Sov  , .....and my fingers .
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    edited May 2020
    Up it to £300 and buy mine (with elecgtronics) from the classifieds. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    Up it to £300 and buy mine (with elecgtronics) from the classifieds. 

Locked down on permanent old fart COPD ticket and very strict wife .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    rossi said:
    So far I think Vintage Paul Brett  Viator VTR 800  or Vintage V300 mahogany  but maybe upgrade to an electro version of either.
    I would always get a plain acoustic and then add the pickup of your choice - preferably something simple and removable/upgradable, and even better if it doesn't have batteries onboard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    rossi said:
    So far I think Vintage Paul Brett  Viator VTR 800  or Vintage V300 mahogany  but maybe upgrade to an electro version of either.
    I would always get a plain acoustic and then add the pickup of your choice - preferably something simple and removable/upgradable, and even better if it doesn't have batteries onboard.

Cheers yes this something to look at .That mahogangoganay  V300 looks tempting .I was thing blues but I am a lapsed  60 bluegrass and folky  type  that sold his soul to electrics  and I think the v300 is more versatile that a bluesy parlour .I cant coordinate my thumb so I really am just a finger picker .
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    I bought a recording king at the start of this lockdown down and been super impressed with it https://i.imgur.com/Dqg9owk.jpg

Well I ordered a Recording King RPM9M  last night after saying I would be patriotic  and order from UK dealers .Oh hypocritical Martin .I looked earlier in the day after the recommendations on here  and fancied it but it was sold out.I checked late last night  and there it was for sale so i grabbed it .Its now sold out again .At 129 its worth a punt and that kind of guitar was  what I was initially looking for   not a larger folky model which was very tempting
    thanks for all the advice  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Well the Recording king came.It has sharp fret ends and a high action but some  running a spoon handle  up and down  the fret board sides  soon made them OK  and some truss rod adjusting  and nut slot deepening  made it all OK .I suppose if  you cant do this then its not so good but as I always expect this sort of thing on cheap guitars and even expensive ones its no worry for me .Seems like a decent guitar for the money, intonation is spot on  and it plays well with some zip that will probably improve with better strings.
    thanks for the heads up
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    zepp76 said:
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:
    This.

The Martin retro Monel’s just seem to suit all mahogany acoustics. I haven’t tried them on spruce top acoustics yet.
    I found that they suit all mahogany guitars a treat. I tried them on my spruce top HD28, removed them pretty fast.