Internet Booster

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited May 2020 in Studio & Recording
My studio is situated in the front room of my house which appears to be a deadzone for my wireless internet. Before its use as a studio I used to have a lodger who bought a little booster gadget that didn't seem to help much.

Has anyone had success with this issue and can recommend a device that will definitely work pls? My internet is great everywhere else in the house so it's not an issue with the router itself. The room is situated about 12 metres from wireles hub
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Nice Long Ethernet cable :-)
    Also worth looking if its a 2.4ghz/5ghz router as ISTR that the 5ghz is faster and more modern but is less use at penetrating buildings walls etc. 

Also if there is a lot of traffic then worth looking at interference aspects and what channel you are using. I struggled in the old house simply due to too many devices trying to get on the same channel. Simply changed it and voila better connectivity. 

Sure some better experts will come along but that's my layman's experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Powerline adapter.  AV2000
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Nice Long Ethernet cable :-)
    Also worth looking if its a 2.4ghz/5ghz router as ISTR that the 5ghz is faster and more modern but is less use at penetrating buildings walls etc. 

Also if there is a lot of traffic then worth looking at interference aspects and what channel you are using. I struggled in the old house simply due to too many devices trying to get on the same channel. Simply changed it and voila better connectivity. 

Sure some better experts will come along but that's my layman's experience. 
    Thanks for feedback. Can't see spec of router but assume it's 5ghz as it's quite new. Maybe one other device would be running at the same time. Ethernet cable is definitely a backup idea!
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Does this just increase speed? The room gets no internet.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    randerson said:
    Does this just increase speed? The room gets no internet.
    It brings internet to the room via your plug sockets
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706
    I’ve got three of these: https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-add-on-disc-for-whole-home-wi-fi-091073-CVVT.html. Simple to set up and spreads internet throughout the house.  Three is overkill really but was the easiest way to give my son a wired connection in the attic. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    If its a newish router then I see both the 5g and the 3g connection to mine here but the Virgin one in the UK has the 2.4g turned off but it can easily be turned back on from the control panel which might help and you can connect through that way. 

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Personally I'd go with a really long Ethernet cable.  They are cheap as chip and guaranteed to work.  I've got some running from one room to another in my house due to some equipment not being having suitable wi-fi credentials.  Also worth bearing in mind that download speeds are often far superior on a Lan cable compared to wi-fi or other.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Ethernet is the best option if you can make it work, my garage is 50ft away from my house at the back of the garden but I use a Devolo adaptor. And use an ethernet cable from that. It works perfectly well with pretty quick internet.