Guitar cab modding question!

What's Hot
cemskycemsky Frets: 1
edited May 2020 in Making & Modding

I have a 2x12” cab with 2x8 ohm speakers (they are WGS ET65 and WGS Retro 30 75w). They both connected to individual sockets at the back of the cab.

This is great as I can individually use them at the 8 ohm for single or stereo with 2 amps.

However, I would like to extend the capability of the cab to cover all bases i.e. parallel wiring (4 ohms) and series wiring (16 ohms) by using external two Y cables - single mono jack to double mono jack with colour codes. Like the parallel cable is red and series cable is blue etc...

Parallel Y cable will be wired tip to double tip and sleeve to double sleeve.

Series Y cable will be wired tip to tip + sleeve and sleeve to double slave.

Will that work?

I will add a diagram.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cemskycemsky Frets: 1
    edited May 2020
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    The parallel cable is correct but the series one isn't.

The tip of the common plug should be connected to the tip of speaker A. The sleeve of speaker A should be connected to the tip of speaker B, not back to the common plug. The sleeve of the common plug should be connected to the sleeve of speaker B.

Only three wires in total.

Does that make sense?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes it makes sense thanks! I thought they will be connected through the ground (common sleeve)
    No. The sleeve of the first speaker plug must be connected to the tip of the second, not the sleeve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    cemsky said:
    Yes, that’s it.

These cables are slightly awkward to make - its easiest to use ‘figure 8’ type speaker cable where the two halves can be separated to go to the two cabinet plugs, and make the tip-to-sleeve link with a short wire.

ICBM said:
    cemsky said:
    Yes, that’s it.

These cables are slightly awkward to make - its easiest to use ‘figure 8’ type speaker cable where the two halves can be separated to go to the two cabinet plugs, and make the tip-to-sleeve link with a short wire.
    I think I have some of those thanks !