HX Stomp vs POD

NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
Interesting comparison...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    edited May 2020
    Cheers will check this out later on.

edit: Good stuff! Both sounded good, could definitely hear the HX Stomp tones sounded more rounded/smoother.  For something that came out 20+? years ago it more than held its own.

You might like this guys channel, as he does a few comparisons too. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/174622/gear-curiousities-line-6-pod-the-original-desktop-amp-modeler#latest

Always wanted to get an original POD for nostalgia, then leave it connected to a desirable guitar like a ‘59 Les Paul Burst & let the online shit show commence!  Although I have never actually played an original POD or 2.0, I have a Pod XT model.

Not sure if you watch Paul David’s on YouTube, but he said in a recent video that if you have watched his early videos on YouTube (first 2 years) that he used a POD for the tones then...he didn’t say which model though.
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    God almighty, the used price of the old pods just shot up. 
  • pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1790
    Interesting I started playing again in the POD era and for a lot of those comparisons, my ears can hear some comfort in the POD as back in the day I spent loads of time editing and tweaking the Pod at the time it seemed a marvel. I did sort of also go you need to bother to use the Eq on this. Overall the HX is better, but as said sometimes the grainier Pod was a comfort blanket. 

That said last time I fired mine up a few years ago I was deep into the Kemper and just thought YUK. Ha Ha

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited May 2020
    Interesting I started playing again in the POD era and for a lot of those comparisons, my ears can hear some comfort in the POD as back in the day I spent loads of time editing and tweaking the Pod at the time it seemed a marvel. I did sort of also go you need to bother to use the Eq on this. Overall the HX is better, but as said sometimes the grainier Pod was a comfort blanket. 

That said last time I fired mine up a few years ago I was deep into the Kemper and just thought YUK. Ha Ha

Snap! I started playing again after quite a long gap and bought a pod xt and some headphones so that I could play quietly and not upset the neighbours.

Then a few years back I upgraded to an Amplifire. It wasn't until then that I could find anything that was sufficiently 'better' to justify spending the money on it.

I'd also starting hearing a tonal characteristic in the pod that I disliked. It's a grainy sound at about 2.5-3kHz that sounds like breaking glass. I could not unhear it. I still hear it in that clip. I had to use peq's to manage it but that only kind of worked.

The stomp doesn't seem to have it - at least not in that clip.

Occasionally I dig out my old pod xt for fun. But last time I did that I put it away again pretty quickly.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited May 2020
    I recently dug out my old Pod v1 which has a v2 chip in it. It still sounds really good on some models, and if you wear phones the air function really works well.