Luthier to finish body work

What's Hot
I've got a bass body blank from booboo guitars that I'd like to get professionally 'finished', i.e. someone to properly round the body edges, get the machining marks out and get it ready for sealing (for a natural finish). I tried to have a go myself but it's a bit beyond me and it would end up costing alot to get the tools I need. Does anyone know anyone in the UK who does this and what the cost would be? 

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    I can't help thinking it would have been cheaper to buy a perfect one from guitarbuild?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    I can't help thinking it would have been cheaper to buy a perfect one from guitarbuild?
    Indeed. Ah hindsight, my old friend.

It was an attempt to avoid spending £185ish on a custom order (it's not a standard layout). However yes, it may end up going that way. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I agree with Steve on this I would throw it back on eBay as unfinished project and try and get my money back. In general the whole Booboo thing only really works if you like an often fairly involved diy project asking someone to spend a commercial hourly rate to fix an unfinished  cockup is going to cost a lot more I would suspect.

i am always amazed that they get so many screwed up bodies 
    I agree with Steve on this I would throw it back on eBay as unfinished project and try and get my money back. In general the whole Booboo thing only really works if you like an often fairly involved diy project asking someone to spend a commercial hourly rate to fix an unfinished  cockup is going to cost a lot more I would suspect.

i am always amazed that they get so many screwed up bodies 
    False economy is what seems to be coming to mind. I thought sanding would sort most of the issues I had, but some are just too big to solve. It seems that maybe they have a go with bits of timber that may not be good enough, then sell through Booboo if not and GB if they come out ok? It's a good idea really and it's more my error in taking on more than I could manage. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    any pics... some of them need a lot more work than others
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Pics would be good
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yeah - pics would be good.  

If it's a straightforward job, then I or, I'm sure, a number of other TheFretboard builders would be happy to do the work for just the cost of the return postage.
    Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I put a couple of coats of spray on first to see now it looked with some finish, so I'll sand this off and get some photos up in the next couple of days. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I put a couple of coats of spray on first to see now it looked with some finish, so I'll sand this off and get some photos up in the next couple of days. 

No need to sand it off - it's just to get an idea of the shape, what wants reshaping and if there are any showstoppers in there.