Raki vs. Ouzo

What's Hot
I may be pretty new here and may risk getting labeled an alcoholic but since I just had some Raki after lunch I felt like asking the question.

They are similar but I like Raki more. It´s obviously slightly stronger alcoholwise but somehow tastier to me.
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I prefer rakı to Ouzo. I like the drunkenness, somehow more blissful than other strong liquors. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Pernod vs Ricard 45?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    Pernod vs Ricard 45?
    Pernod
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I had Ouzo once. I seem to remember it being aniseed which I love. 

Usually I go for a shot of sambuca on fire in the Indian. I think I preferred sambuca. Not the black one though, that wasnt as nice.

Not a huge drinker. 

Though I will be if we dont get back to the office this year... fuck me. That or bloody painkillers.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I'm a very placid and laid back dude, but I once got drunk on Ouzo and felt ready to take on the world...Very uncharacturistic. I've never touched the stuff since. Of course it might not be related to that particular beverage - I was on a peaceful family holiday at the time, I removed myself from company until the strange feeling subsided.
    Very odd.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    I thought this thread was going to be another boxing one with two fighters I'd never heard of.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Arak, don't forget arak.  It's another from that part of the world with the anise thing going on.

And the pimp daddy of them all:  absinthe.

(Proper stuff, not vodka that's been dyed green.)

I'm not exactly sure I miss it but, well, I miss it a bit. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    ESBlonde said:
    I'm a very placid and laid back dude, but I once got drunk on Ouzo and felt ready to take on the world...Very uncharacturistic. I've never touched the stuff since. Of course it might not be related to that particular beverage - I was on a peaceful family holiday at the time, I removed myself from company until the strange feeling subsided.
    Very odd.

Theres a guy in work who reckons a certain brand of beer does that to him. Weird eh! 

I’ve not experienced it myself but I generally stick to what I know I like. 

Maybe it was just the alcohol bringing out your subconscious feelings in that instance? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited June 2020
    I remember the first 'lads' holiday I went on in Malia, that was my first and last encounter with Raki. I have 2 main memories of it from that holiday.

The first one being on our very first day. We went straight to the bar in the hotel. The Barman was slipping us free shots of it with every round. Most of us managed to drink 2 shots and realised this was serious stuff so we left it alone from there. One of my mates thought he was billy big bollocks and continued to drink shot after shot, saying it 'wasn't so bad'. After about 8 shots of it he went downhill rapidly. The entertainment being watching him attempting to walk the 20 or so feet back to his room, which was directly opposite the bar on the ground floor and spending half an hour trying to get his leg over the 2 foot balcony wall. The whole pool area was in hysterics watching the whole thing. 

Day 3 came and we were all a bit hungover after 2 days of heavy drinking. We had every intention of having a quiet night in to recover. 

The barman at our hotel seen the state we were in and brought us over 2 rounds of Raki. Most of us were nearly sick at the thought of drinking it (Billy big bollocks was actually sick). But the Barman insisted we drink it as it would 'sort us out'. So down the hatch it went. Within 10 minutes we were all ready to take on the world again and we went out on the town. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Ouzo. Tsipouro. Raki in that order. 

Must be unbearably hot. It must have lots of ice and ideally a whole bottle, one shot is never enough.

And there must be two of the following
    1. Salted almonds
    2. Marinated anchovies
    3. Olives
    4. Marinated octopus
    5. Garlic bake rolls
    6. Pickled garlic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Raki cured my backache. I could literally feel my chi being energised throughout the whole process.
    edited June 2020
    It's a different vowel with a different pronunciation, btw. The Turkish spelling is not Raki but Rakı. Instead of "Rakee", it's pronounced by pushing the lips forward and voicing the ee sound as in the ou "could". 

Turkish people (and actually anyone who drinks either rakı or arak) always drink it with food. Never on its own. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    ^ Same in Greece, ouzo is served as an aperitif or with meze, never on its own or as the Greeks call it, "dry hammer" (xerosfyri).
    It tends to be tourists (surprisingly, Brits) that neck it on its own & make arses of themselves. Funny that  ;)

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    ESBlonde said:
    Very odd.

I'm exactly the same, but with cider. So I avoid it big time!! It's weird isn't it?
    Ouzo, Raki, all this stuff, god it's rough stuff. Like mouthwash. This is proper alky brew! Just cos it's a tradition somewhere doesn't make it good!! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    I went to Albania, and stayed in a small village called Borsh. Lovely people, and extremely poor.

We visited a lovely couple who were home brewing Raki, in a very old still through a sock ! Ive never tasted anything like it; sweet, sour and very strong.

My head spun after one small measure !
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Roland said:
    Pernod vs Ricard 45?

Best to have some Pastis while considering it.
    When logic and proportion
    Roland said:
    Pernod vs Ricard 45?

Best to have some Pastis while considering it.
    Pretentious twat that I was, after spending two weeks in France approx 35 years ago and before it had really arrived in this country, I ordered two pastis in my local pub. Landlord asked if I wanted beef or chicken. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I thought that boxing is back on and it was a fight thread.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Snap said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Very odd.

I'm exactly the same, but with cider. So I avoid it big time!! It's weird isn't it?
    Ouzo, Raki, all this stuff, god it's rough stuff. Like mouthwash. This is proper alky brew! Just cos it's a tradition somewhere doesn't make it good!! 
    I’m the same but with whisky. It’s almost got me into some pretty nasty situations in the past. I won’t touch the stuff anymore. 

Personally I hate aniseed, but love Ouzo. Strange really.

It was the chaser of choice on my stag do. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Raki is one of those very inconsistent drinks. The best I had was a home made one in thessaloniki. In Serbia I had another home made one, but it was (for all intents and purposes) a completely different drink.

Where did you get it from? I'd be interested in trying it again... 

I wonder how much culture we lose in this country to supermarket spirits? Another example for me would be whisky. Most folk in this country would say Bells, Teachers, Jack Daniels, but there is a whole world of culture and flavour out there, to a point that some whisky doesn't taste anything like others.

Musing out loud here tbh.