NGD + String recommendations

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
Hi,

I've splurged on a couple of acoustics recently, ostensibly for the children but, hey, they're my guitars :3 

I've currently got a Takamine EF261SWR, and I have Elixir Lights on it (12-53).

I've got the guitars pictured below arriving soon. I'm not sure I want the expense of Elixirs on the Aria, and I wonder if the Sigma parlour needs different strings than the larger guitars.

Any suggestions?

Thank,

R. 

Sigma SG Series LM-SG00+

Aria AW 200F

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    You bought the Sigma from Mark right? It looks like his picture.

I'd ask him what strings worked best for it, the fella really knows his guitars!  But if you are looking for recommendations, I'd order a set each of 12-53's in PB and 80/20's and find out which suited it the best.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    You bought the Sigma from Mark right? It looks like his picture.

I'd ask him what strings worked best for it, the fella really knows his guitars!  But if you are looking for recommendations, I'd order a set each of 12-53's in PB and 80/20's and find out which suited it the best.
    Yeah, it's from @fishfingers. What do you reckon, Mark?

R.

• fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    I'm no expert! It's got PB Elixir Lights at the moment, and they sound good but are past their best and will need changing. I've had Martin Lifespan 2 PB prior to those and they sound better than the elixir to my ears. I mostly use coated strings because uncoated ones last about a day with my skin! Just recently I've been playing some Rev Gary Davis tunes on the Sigma, with metal fingerpicks, and it sounded fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3495
    I'm no expert! It's got PB Elixir Lights at the moment, and they sound good but are past their best and will need changing. I've had Martin Lifespan 2 PB prior to those and they sound better than the elixir to my ears. I mostly use coated strings because uncoated ones last about a day with my skin! Just recently I've been playing some Rev Gary Davis tunes on the Sigma, with metal fingerpicks, and it sounded fantastic!

Good info.

Also, the Reverend always fantastic. Shame he seems to go under the radar a bit too much for liking, him and Mississipi John Hurt.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9625
    I would try Monel strings on the Sigma.
    They are on my radar to try.

I'll look into the Martin Lifespan. Thanks.

R.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    John Pearse PBs 12s get my vote. 
    I put an Amazon order in this aft (had a £50 gift voucher to spend).

I got:

• 2 x C.F. Martin MM-12 retro strings for acoustic guitar
    • 2 x Martin MA540T Authentic Acoustic - LifeSpan 2.0 - Phosphor
    • 2 x Elixir 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb
    I think I'll try the MM-12 on the Sigma first, then perhaps the MA540T. The Elixirs will go on the Aria.

R.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    yeh or nickel bronze. not a fan of PB