DEAD Neck Pickup JBE Gatton T style

What's Hot
I hope this is the right place to ask, would anybody be able to help with trying to fix a Gatton T style tele neck pickup  

Whilst gigging a while ago the level from the pickup became weak then eventually disappeared altogether. 

I'm getting  no reading from the multimeter but cannot see any external breaks in the wire.

I will be selling the full set eventually as I have now replaced them with a custom shop set
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14454
    edited June 2020
    Has either of your E strings come into contact with the black tape around the pickup coils?

Where did you apply meter probes?

To be of any help, DC resistance meter readings need to be taken for each coil, either from where the the four output conductors leave the lower fibre board of the pickup or in the control cavity, using the series link between the conductors for both readings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited June 2020
    This happens to the Gatton T-style pickups rather too often. I've lost two like that and have heard of many others. There's an old thread on here where Oil City Pickups show just what a pain they are to repair.

Here's the link:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107136/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smfacersmfacer Frets: 32
    edited June 2020
    Where did you apply meter probes?

From where the the four output conductors leave the lower fibre board of the pickup
    That's where! I also tried while pickup was still installed -  checking across the tip and sleeve of a plugged in lead with neck selected.

Edit*
    Forgot to say - one coil measuring 2.02
    Jimbro66 said:
    This happens to the Gatton T-style pickups rather too often. I've lost two like that and have heard of many others. There's an old thread on here where Oil City Pickups show just what a pain they are to repair.

Here's the link:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107136/
    Thanks for the link, I'll try contacting oil city to see if he's up for another challenge!

They really are great sounding pickups, just a shame the construction doesn't match the premium premium price tag!
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    My friend is mad about JB pickups and he has them from all era's being a totally Gatton Fan he has bought them up over the years from when there was like serious waiting lists. 

If its a more recent one they may be easier to fix as those from the old Joe Barden era as Ash pointed out had loads of weird stuff more modern ones are supposed to be more sorted so perhaps no green epoxy..

Fingers crossed it's an easy fix! It is a newer JBE era pickup which looks a little different to the one in the thread linked above