1988 PRS With Undisclosed Neck Break Now On Reverb and Ebay 2022 updated

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:

The old guitar shop "wisdom" was that a repaired break sounds better as any weakness has been dealt with and its stronger than it was before.

Sadly, things are not that predictable.  Breaks are not all equal, neither are guitar repairers.

This is a well repaired long grain break, so from a functionality point of view there are no issues whatsoever.
    Agreed - if it has been glued properly, which it does look like, then in this case with a slightly weaker neck due to the wood grain direction, it’s actually stronger than it was.

The issue for me is the finish - it just looks a bit of a mess. It might not have when it was first done, I suspect a different type of finish (probably nitro) has been used and the two have reacted over time

It is now a case for quite a few repair guys that the guy who can do a first class woodwork repair is not the first class refin guy - And the refin guy is often not the woodwork guy - Need to find someone who does both, and or work as a team

You can understand why potential buyers have a reluctance to buy a guitar with a damaged neck, even if done well etc - Yet let's assume you own the guitar, drop it, break the neck and have it repaired, do you now sell it as total junk and a write off, or keep it as it is not an issue - Many will say the latter, but still not indulge in buying such a guitar, even at the right price, so a bit of a conflict IMO

Agree that honesty still needs to be revealed at all times on such guitars when selling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Well done for turning up here and holding your hands up @henrygregory91. Takes a lot of balls to do that. 

I have to ask, did you not notice the damage when you took delivery of the guitar? (Not inferring any blame on your part if you didn’t by the way, I’m just curious, as it looks fairly obvious to me from your auction pics).  I’m surprised that a “reputable dealer“ didn’t make it known when they sold it to you either, you’d have thought a dealer with a reputation to protect would be quick to pick up on things like that. 

It does prompt some thought from me. I’ve got an SG that had a very obvious neck break when I got it. The seller was also upfront about and sold it cheap to allow for the damage. It’d been well repaired and I’ve since had the guitar completely refinished in a solid colour, and so well that the damage doesn’t actually show any more. I’d be upfront about it if I ever sold it on, but would anyone further down the line also be honest, or even know about it without that knowledge being passed on? 
    I did notice the damage, I had presumed it was neck wear from playing...silly me!!! It was bought from a private seller and I’m fairly certain he didn’t know either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited June 2020
    Damage or not, that is a VERY nice PRS from the desirable era and for someone looking for a non-case queen example that is to be played then its a contender.

If I had the cash, I'd have it in a heartbeat, I've had a few guitars with breaks in the past and apart from 1 which couriers completely fucked up 2nd time around all the others have been great, strong guitars.

Its unfortunate that the majority of people looking to buy these late 80's PRS are collectors who want every little piece intact etc and will turn their nose up as such pieces because it won't fetch the money on Antiques Roadshow.....

Most gigging musicians like myself see them as tools and use them as such.

Good Luck with selling it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    Damage or not, that is a VERY nice PRS from the desirable era and for someone looking for a non-case queen example that is to be played then its a contender.

If I had the cash, I'd have it in a heartbeat, I've had a few guitars with breaks in the past and apart from 1 which couriers completely fucked up 2nd time around all the others have been great, strong guitars.

Its unfortunate that the majority of people looking to buy these late 80's PRS are collectors who want every little piece intact etc and will turn their nose up as such pieces because it won't fetch the money on Antiques Roadshow.....

Most gigging musicians like myself see them as tools and use them as such.

Good Luck with selling it.
    Thanks very much! Hopefully I’ll get a bite on it soon. Agreed, it doesn’t take anything away from the playability. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    edited June 2020
    How long have you owned it @henrygregory91 ? I realise its changed hands a few times but to be really honest here I have email correspondence that shows you were contacted and informed about this matter last year, and whilst it also shows you were surprised, you didn't then alter your listing which at the time was £4500 on ebay (yes i have that too) but you increased the price. 
    I have also found the email from the original seller offering it to me in 2012 for £1300. I must admit I was tempted back then. I believe it sold for that figure. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    How long have you owned it @henrygregory91 ? I realise its changed hands a few times but to be really honest here I have email correspondence that shows you were contacted and informed about this matter last year, and whilst it also shows you were surprised, you didn't then alter your listing which at the time was £4500 on ebay (yes i have that too) but you increased the price. 
    I have also found the email from the original seller offering it to me in 2012 for £1300. I must admit I was tempted back then. I believe it sold for that figure. 
    I’ve owned since around 2015/16. It’s been on and off eBay a few times during this period as I’ve decided to keep. In regards to the price, I had no idea what it was worth and was keen to attract swaps rather than actually selling (hence silly prices at times). I thought the damage was around the neck to body join and didn’t realise there was an actual break in the neck. Hence keeping on there and not saying anything. I’ve got a lot I’ve money tied up in it so I suppose I was in denial. I feel a lot better now that it’s advertised correctly. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    Regarding honesty when selling a guitar with a neck or headstock break...

I'd seen a guitar advertised on here that had no mention of a headstock break in the description. I missed out on the sale on here but quickly tracked down the new owner who had a bit of buyer's remorse and was willing to let it go for what he paid for it. I went to see the guitar and immediately clocked the break in the headstock.

It's a decent repair with no stability issues, just a bit untidy in the finish with a small ridge where the break was and a couple of gaps between the headstock and headstock binding. He said that he 'thought they were all like that' and that the previous seller hadn't mentioned it to him either.

I did wonder if the buyer's remorse was due to the break and him wanting to shift it again quickly but the price was reasonable even with the break so I took it on. It's an 80s MIJ LP so who knows when the damage could have taken place, but in the space of three owners, two had not been willing to disclose the damage when selling.

• Amazing looking guitar, such a pity on the damage but as long as it is stable and the future owner is aware all good. GLWS
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9653
    Fair play to the seller for being honest, and a shame that he bought it without knowing himself. It looks it was a good repair anyway and hopefully won’t put anybody off who’s interested in that particular guitar. James Dean Bradfield’s white LP Custom has suffered at least two neck breaks!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22953
    WezV said:
    tone1 said:
    The Gary Moore/Peter Green/Kirk Hammet 59 Les Paul had a neck break, and that sounded pretty damn good.... well 2/3 out bad (now that reminds me of a song)  B)
    The old guitar shop "wisdom" was that a repaired break sounds better as any weakness has been dealt with and its stronger than it was before.

Sadly, things are not that predictable.  Breaks are not all equal, neither are guitar repairers.

That old Michael Schenker story has just popped into my head.  He'd quit UFO, briefly rejoined the Scorpions then left again, and found himself in a hotel room somewhere where he chopped off most of his hair and smashed his white Flying V to pieces.  Apparently the V sounded better when it had been put back together (and painted half black, half white).

Of course the whole story may be a load of bollocks.  Including the bit about the V being better.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    Question for all the guitar makers and repairers out there...

<snip>
    This has been discussed numerous time before. Have a peep at threads like:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4092/gibson-neck-breaks-whats-the-wisdom-on-this

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/9539/les-paul-impact-of-repair-on-value

Fair enough. Ta. I didn't join until late 2015, so wouldn't have seen them first time 'round. I've given up on the search function - too many hits that don't help me find what I'm looking for. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    Am sure that Rabea’s Gibson Les Paul Custom suffered a neck break. He talks about it at 1:10 if anyone cares.
    https://youtu.be/ZcDNjeBbgDY
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    This thread shows how a small world the pool of guitar players are who can afford guitars of this price bracket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Break or not it's a beautiful guitar 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    edited October 2020
    Mistake.
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    Strat54 said:
    Real class @henrygregory91 You have changed your ebay listing back again!  Maybe I should start posting the pic of it broken! 

From your current ebay listing.....
    UPDATE:
    I’ve been asked by numerous people if the neck has been out/refitted. I’m not aware of any work done to neck and I purchased from a reputable seller. However I have some more detailed photos of the guitar and it looks like the lacquer has reacted where it meets the body. This is not present at the heel, but is on the sides. The guitar plays perfectly and there is nothing to suggest it’s been damaged, everything is straight and the action/playability is as you’d expect (flipping great) from any PRS
    The listing still discloses the break with a Further Update section at the bottom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    Here is how it reads currently 

Ahh I see now, I didn't scroll down far enough. Thought it had been altered again. Ignore. Thanks.
  • Seller is in Walsall so…

if someone purchased on eBay and found out about the break after, would that be grounds to return it under eBay’s buyer protection?