Comparison between Santa Cruz OM and Martin OM-18e

What's Hot
Put this video together last night, a bit amateur but I think shows the difference in tone between two fairly different instruments of similar design.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Nice video and comparison. For what it's worth, both sounded great but I preferred the Martin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Lodious said:
    Nice video and comparison. For what it's worth, both sounded great but I preferred the Martin.
    Cheers @Lodious. To be honest I don’t think I prefer one or the other, they’re distinct enough that they feel like completely different types of guitars and lend themselves to different styles. I think the Santa Cruz has a charm that is difficult to convey in a video or recording and that is how it resonates when it’s being played. The Martin does not do that, not nearly as much at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Yeah, I re-watched and I think I might like the SC better. Nice to have options :-)
  • NibulniblinNibulniblin Frets: 183
    Informative demo, Fred. SC for me.
    The Future is simply time waiting to become History.
    Informative demo, Fred. SC for me.
    Thanks Barry :)
  • TforTeleTforTele Frets: 33
    Lodious said:
    Cheers @Lodious. To be honest I don’t think I prefer one or the other, they’re distinct enough that they feel like completely different types of guitars and lend themselves to different styles. I think the Santa Cruz has a charm that is difficult to convey in a video or recording and that is how it resonates when it’s being played. The Martin does not do that, not nearly as much at least. 
    Hi Fred

Is that difference in "resonance" maybe down to one being mahogany and one rosewood?

TforTele said:
    Lodious said:
    Hi Fred

Is that difference in "resonance" maybe down to one being mahogany and one rosewood?

@TforTele Possibly, but there's also the 14 year differential between the two, as well as a bone saddle/pins on the SC and definite variations in construction. I think it's a case of 'sum of the part's'. The SC is also a bit richer on the lower end of things whereas the Martin seems to have a more prominent midrange. That may account for 'feeling' the SC a bit more than the Martin but they are both lively.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    Nice video Fred. I like the sound of them both, possibly leaning more towards the Martin, which sounds great on the video and also in the flesh!  ;)

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    TforTele said:
    Lodious said:
    Hi Fred

@TforTele Possibly, but there's also the 14 year differential between the two, as well as a bone saddle/pins on the SC and definite variations in construction. I think it's a case of 'sum of the part's'. The SC is also a bit richer on the lower end of things whereas the Martin seems to have a more prominent midrange. That may account for 'feeling' the SC a bit more than the Martin but they are both lively.

That might be the mahogany vs rosewood.  In my experience, rosewood tends to have more low and high while mahogany tends to push the mids a bit more.
    crunchman said:
    TforTele said:
    Lodious said:
    Hi Fred

That might be the mahogany vs rosewood.  In my experience, rosewood tends to have more low and high while mahogany tends to push the mids a bit more.
    This makes sense and it is a similar experience to a Maton I have at the moment, which is mahogany (sapele) and Sitka. It’s like the Martin, focused on the mids, albeit with a bit more girth on bottom end as it’s a Dreadnought sized body. Have learned a lot from comparing these different instruments, namely in that I think my inclination towards a strummer would be choosing mahogany. That being said, the Santa Cruz has its place. 

Nice video Fred. I like the sound of them both, possibly leaning more towards the Martin, which sounds great on the video and also in the flesh!  ;)

Thanks Nigel, I’m inclined to say the same :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice, thanks. If asked blind, I'd have got the rosewood and mahogany entirely the wrong way round. Shows how much I know.
    Personally, I prefer the mellower sound of the SC.