Is your no 1 guitar your easiest to play?

What's Hot

Comments

• Until I picked up my prs my jem was the easiest to play. However since getting the prs it's noticeably easier to play and I love the sound of the 59/09 pups. It's now the only thing i play. In fact I may well sell everything else to get another
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

My go to guitar is the one that is next in line for a polish.I line 'em up along the wall and give each one a good scrub up before putting them back in their cases and away to bed.

Play em, I hear you ask.... Guitars are for bed supports and public health acts, not playing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    axisus said:
    Every time I pick up my Parker Fly, I am astounded by the ease of playing. mega low action, super smooth slinky SS frets. It really is a peach to play, but ....... I never pick it up! The only reason I ever pick it up to be honest is the fact that son no:1 likes it and keeps leaving it out (Grrr!). My no 1 guitar is heavier by a long shot and definitely takes a bit more effort, but it is firmly no1.

Do you go for the ease of playability or prefer something different?
    I'd reckon if you never play it then that means you'll happily give it away to a new and loving home.  I'll be that new supportive environment if you like?  ;-) 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    The easiest playing guitar I have is my Ibanez PGM301 (Paul Gilbert sig) - I don't play it as often as my Epi SG though - that guitar fits me like a glove.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Yep

2007 deluxe USA strat with a 9.5-16" compound radius neck

Beautiful
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    @ICBM I'm an 11's guy!

My number 1 is my SG, that feels like home to me.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Good question! I would have to say yes and no it depends on what I am doing for general, acoustic, recording and practice I use a guild f 20 from the 60s, and the action and playability is that akin to an electric, I eve. Use it to practice metal etc if I am not near the electric.

Bass wise I use the acoustic ibanez ewb 30 which is a beaut but not as playable as my musicman stingray.
  • Gassage said:
    Not quite the easiest to play, but a flat fretboard, lovely thick deep neck with loads of flame and the best seperation I've ever had on my guitars....SSL1C and 2 red dot CS pups.....

1996 Custom Shop Cunetto finished, masterbuilt by J. Black.

Blimey not many Cunetto's done by Jay. Was this the one he made for Vince? Does it have Jays builders decal instead of the Cunetto FCS imprint? Would love to see some more pics of that. i have a friend that collects J.W.Black's guitars.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7173
    ICBM said:
    I have 11s on all my guitars.
    Same here! That really surprises me, I've never come across anyone else who does this apart from us two now.

I think you just get used to a heavier gauge.
    Yes, although they're considered 'wimpy' on an acoustic ;).

Acoustics do always seem to retain a degree of stiffness that electrics dont.
    Maybe due to the material used for the string?? (a guess on my behalf) 
    I think the stiffness of the acoustics is down to the slightly higher action and the gauges not actually being the same - only the 11 top E is, all the others are slightly heavier in the acoustic sets. (11-15-22W-32-42-52 vs. 11-14-18P/20W-28-38-49)

My favourite guitar sound-wise is not my easiest to play, but my favourite to play is the easiest… if that makes sense!

You can count me into that too. Have had power-slinkys on my guitars since I grew fingers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Ah, but the key part of the question is whether you use 11s on your acoustic too! There are plenty of us who use 11s on electric *or* acoustic, but it seems to be very rare to use them on both. Most people seem to use heavier ones on acoustics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah, that's easy... I don't play an acoustic.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2014
    Is your no 1 guitar your easiest to play?

No. :) My no 1 guitar is a LP Standard I've had for 20 years, but much as I'd like it to be my easiest one to play...

the easiest is a 2003 Am Std Strat with a split rails humbucker in the bridge. So easy to play because it's well engineered to be easy to play. Same as this one BTW
    My go to guitar is my 2007 bog standard Fender US Stratocaster .. nice rolled neck and easy to play.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Probably not. My "easiest" guitar to play is probably my Love Rock. My Peerless New York is relatively difficult - 17", single cut, 14-67 strings, one floating pickup no tone control. I play the NY all the time.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    I don't quite have one "number one" guitar, but all of mine are pretty equally easy except the Teles which have heavier strings to get a bit more fight from them. Not a bad thing at all.

As for acoustics I run with 12s but in D standard usually so feels more like 11s in E would
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    My Strat is number one and for slinkiness, my Charvel and Gibson Midtown trump it, although the Strat has the nicest overall "feel" IMO.

I've only got 4 electrics but they are very different , ranging from the skinniness of the Charvel to a super fat neck on my La Cabronita, so it's actually hard to compare as they do different things, I like adjusting to different necks when I pick up a different guitar.

All strung with 10's btw.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    Gassage said:
    Not quite the easiest to play, but a flat fretboard, lovely thick deep neck with loads of flame and the best seperation I've ever had on my guitars....SSL1C and 2 red dot CS pups.....

Blimey not many Cunetto's done by Jay. Was this the one he made for Vince? Does it have Jays builders decal instead of the Cunetto FCS imprint? Would love to see some more pics of that. i have a friend that collects J.W.Black's guitars.

I went to the CS in 1996, courtesy of Kent Armstrong who I knew quite well. he intro'ed me to Jay. Jay took me around CS (on his skates!) and showed me the new relics. I ordered one there and then but, because of Fender's policy, had to buy it via Musical Exchanges (sadly defunct now). I asked for it to be very heavily reliced as above, and Jay built it for me- it's signed in pencil in both the neck pocket and the neck heel but standard FCS logo on back of head.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited June 2014
    Well, I've not put this down since I got it (it's making every day actions such as eating, bathroom visits etc quite taxing), and given that all my long servers have moved on recently, this is definitely my number one. The neck is something else, and I would doubt greatly that it'll ever be knocked off it's newly crowned throne, as I'm not sure how I'd improve upon it. And yes, remarkably easy to play, even with the slightly unforgiving vintage frets.

My 1962 fender Jaguar:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/imagejpg1-19.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    My main live guitar is my LP Special - weighs nothing, small neck, plays itself. Strung with 10s and screams like a screamy thing. Rarely play it home, though...

Main home guitar is my Jazzmaster - strung with 11s and can be a fight but in a good way. Sounds incredible.

My number 1 is still either my black Tele or the SG depending on my mood. Both are still guaranteed to have me smiling within seconds of plugging in.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:

I went to the CS in 1996, courtesy of Kent Armstrong who I knew quite well. he intro'ed me to Jay. Jay took me around CS (on his skates!) and showed me the new relics. I ordered one there and then but, because of Fender's policy, had to buy it via Musical Exchanges (sadly defunct now). I asked for it to be very heavily reliced as above, and Jay built it for me- it's signed in pencil in both the neck pocket and the neck heel but standard FCS logo on back of head.
    That's probably the nicest relic Strat I've seen. Interesting that this was classed as heavy relicing back then. It actually looks old rather than the bizarre heavy relics being marketed now. 
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Yeah, I suppose it is. Les Paul Standard. :) 

Though if I don't have that around definitely the Tele.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/