Whats up with my strat pickguard?

What's Hot
adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
edited June 2020 in Making & Modding
I was going to change up my pickguard, simple i thought, its a 8 hole, but can't find one with this hole arrangement, help
Its a Fender CS strat
Its the central hole on the bottom that seems wrong

And this is what all seem to be online

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72419
    Fender have chosen to use the very short run '59-only 8-screw pattern for some unfathomable stupid reason. This kind of minutiae is supposed to impress detail nerds, presumably... all it does is make it a massive pain in the arse for everyone else - especially as it just looks wrong when you're used to the normal 8-screw locations.

There's also a 10-screw pattern which was used very briefly in the same year, before they finally settled on the (first of the) 11-screw patterns.

Your choices are going to be either to have a new pickguard custom-made to fit, or accept drilling new holes in the body.

Personally, I think multi-ply guards look wrong with anything less than 11 screws, so I would find an 11-screw one which matches the existing 8 screws - pay close attention to the one on the top edge between the middle and neck pickups - and drill the other three holes. But also be aware that if they've been strictly historically correct and routed the control cavity without the 'step' next to the switch, that won't fit either!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    ICBM said:
    Fender have chosen to use the very short run '59-only 8-screw pattern for some unfathomable stupid reason. This kind of minutiae is supposed to impress detail nerds, presumably... all it does is make it a massive pain in the arse for everyone else - especially as it just looks wrong when you're used to the normal 8-screw locations.

There's also a 10-screw pattern which was used very briefly in the same year, before they finally settled on the (first of the) 11-screw patterns.

Your choices are going to be either to have a new pickguard custom-made to fit, or accept drilling new holes in the body.

Personally, I think multi-ply guards look wrong with anything less than 11 screws, so I would find an 11-screw one which matches the existing 8 screws - pay close attention to the one on the top edge between the middle and neck pickups - and drill the other three holes. But also be aware that if they've been strictly historically correct and routed the control cavity without the 'step' next to the switch, that won't fit either!
    Cheers @ICBM , thats helped me out, gotta love Fender  :'(

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    The aluminium screening plate beneath the pickguard may also require modification to accommodate the additional screws.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    The aluminium screening plate beneath the pickguard may also require modification to accommodate the additional screws.
    Thanks mate, Fender do like to make a simple job a pain in the arse
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    ICBM said:

It's not unfathomable. It's so that they can sell these to folks who already have a 58 and a 59/normal-8-screw and a 60 etc etc by convincing them that this one is different and therefore a necessary part of a collection...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

It's not unfathomable. It's so that they can sell these to folks who already have a 58 and a 59/normal-8-screw and a 60 etc etc by convincing them that this one is different and therefore a necessary part of a collection...
    I think @ICBM was right, definitely "stupid"