Perfect portable mixer to use with external FX and synths etc

What's Hot
Can anyone help? I’m getting into experimental electronic music and so I’m looking for a rugged reliable and compact mixer to link up my stuff either analogue or digital with 6/8/10 channels that I can use with external effects like my HX Helix Stomp.  But I would also need to connect an analogue synth and my 1010 blackbox sampler and maybe the odd electric guitar. I guess that I’ll need a mixer with Preamps, FX send and plenty of aux outs and stereo returns for this purpose? A USB option for future recording would be useful.
So far I’ve looked at Allen & Heath both Zedi and Zed series, from the Budget Mackie Mix 8 to Mackie 802VLZ with Onyx preamps, Soundcraft and Yamaha, various Behringer models, both the Presonus Ar8 Arc8 with the onboard SD recorder but recent reliability issues has somewhat put me off this one. Any help greatly appreciated. Budget around £150-£200.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Mackie are reliable and sound good.
    I've found Allen and Heath less hardy.

I currently have a Mackie 1402 VLZ in the studio as a synth submixer.
    It is excellent.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about USB functionality.
    It is usually crippled in some way and relies on the manufacturer updating drivers or making it class compliant.
    A £100 audio interface is usually a better option.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Thanks @octatonic I think I’m going to go for the Mackie 802VLZ4 should have enough channels for me for now. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    802 is a solid device if you are ok with pots rather than faders.
    Thanks @octatonic I may need to ask a few questions re blackbox when mixer arrives
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited June 2020
    Yamaha MG10 or 12XU...  great little mixers, nice fx built in and a plug and play USB audio interface included.  Yamaha gear is bombproof.

8-10 channels and quality at your budget might be difficult but the Mackie looks good.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Hi @builttospill ;
    I'm starting to look too but a week or 2 behind you. I'm sure you will have considered stereo in channels in your mixer...I think BB is stereo out?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jackio said:
    Hi @builttospill ;
    I'm starting to look too but a week or 2 behind you. I'm sure you will have considered stereo in channels in your mixer...I think BB is stereo out?
    Yep! I think you are correct re BB/stereo outs which mixers are you looking at?
    edited June 2020
    If correct it looks like the Mackie has stereo line inputs on channels 5-6 7-8 so should be covered. I’ve researched loads of mixers, tbh it’s been quite a painful process and keep coming back to the Mackie 802 @jackio what’s your set up?
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    If correct it looks like the Mackie has stereo line inputs on channels 5-6 7-8 so should be covered. I’ve researched loads of mixers, tbh it’s been quite a painful process and keep coming back to the Mackie 802 @jackio what’s your set up?
    I don't have a set up yet. I just wanted to be sure you recognised the need for stereo ins. And clearly, of course, you do  =)