through body bass bridge for P bass

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I've got a P bass with a through body bridge and it made such a positive impact to the sound and feel of the bass I think I'd like to do that on my next bass build

I think there is an official Fender P bass bridge that is both through body and string through modes to it (you can string it either way) does anyone know what this is called (the official Fender bridge) or has anyone got any recommendations for a good through body bridge for a P bass ?

thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    The Fender American Standard bridge supports through-body stringing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24355
    I’d hate that! 
    I like slot load bridges. Far less faff, and easier to reuse strings.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I was looking up bass info the other day relating to bridges. I ended up on a bass website (might have been talkbass) and there was a thread where most seemed to be in agreement that through body stringing didn't add anything to the sound - this coming from people who had tried the two options on the same bass. `it convinced me to save myself the hassle with my build and just get a top loader bridge.

Sorry, not answering your question, just thought I'd mention though ...
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    axisus said:
    I was looking up bass info the other day relating to bridges. I ended up on a bass website (might have been talkbass) and there was a thread where most seemed to be in agreement that through body stringing didn't add anything to the sound - this coming from people who had tried the two options on the same bass. `it convinced me to save myself the hassle with my build and just get a top loader bridge.

Sorry, not answering your question, just thought I'd mention though ...
    I'm not a bass player, I have a bass for recording ideas on, I got a mexican P bass, put bareknucle pickups in it, nice improvement, changed the bridge to the model thats on there - string through, noticeable improvement in both the sound and the feel, I don't know if the bridge was just "better quality' or it was the string through that made it feel better, but it is noticeable in both sound and feel.
    I'll rephrase the question, then, I'm looking for a good quality bridge to put on a P Bass (forget string through) that will support good sound and intonation, and I'm considering putting flat wind strings on this bass (or not) is your advice still the same ?
    darcym said:
    I'll rephrase the question, then, I'm looking for a good quality bridge to put on a P Bass (forget string through) that will support good sound and intonation, and I'm considering putting flat wind strings on this bass (or not) is your advice still the same ?
    Definitely a hole or slot loader then. 99% of flats will break in a through body. The string makers warn against it.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-bridges/products/a-style-fender-mount-bridges

But then again - all the great old P bass flatwound tones were all with a BBOT bridge. Jamerson / Dunn / Kaye etc etc.
    BBOT bridge ? have you tried the hipshot, looks well made and I've read good things about them on bass groups.

Bent Bit Of Tin.
    the original fender bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited June 2020
    I put a Fender Highmass bridge (not through-body) on my Bitsa P. Sounds really good.
    Some argue that a heavier bridge can increase sustain.
    Whether that applies when there is already loud volume and natural compression... I doubt any difference is noticeable.

And if there was ever an instrument that doesn’t need loads of sustain for banging out 8th notes, it’s the bass.

Id swap every bridge I have for a slot load though. 
    Whether that applies when there is already loud volume and natural compression... I doubt any difference is noticeable.

And if there was ever an instrument that doesn’t need loads of sustain for banging out 8th notes, it’s the bass.

those hipshots are looking really interesting, what is it about the slot loading that works for you, ease of use ? feel ? sound ? it's certainly had a positive impact on you from what you're saying.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    darcym said:
    Definitely a hole or slot loader then. 99% of flats will break in a through body. The string makers warn against it.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-bridges/products/a-style-fender-mount-bridges

But then again - all the great old P bass flatwound tones were all with a BBOT bridge. Jamerson / Dunn / Kaye etc etc.
    If you do string through properly then flats survive perfectly well. 

The Shuker fretless is string through with flats (obvs).. it’s a much less severe break angle, and the strings are held in a solid aluminium block. 

So why string through? It’s the only way to get sufficient pressure on the piezo saddles to give a solid consistent tone..
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    darcym said:

those hipshots are looking really interesting, what is it about the slot loading that works for you, ease of use ? feel ? sound ? it's certainly had a positive impact on you from what you're saying.

Slot loading is by far the easiest way of swapping strings without damaging them - and on a bass that’s a big advantage when some are £50+ a set and can last 10 years