How do you listen to music and other questions...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    1 How do you listen to music?  Earbuds, stereo system, in car,  etc.

90% hifi system/separates in the living room (nothing fancy...generally older/used, fairly entry-level stuff, e.g. NAD, Yamaha, Pioneer, an old Dual turntable)
    5% in the car (little FM-streaming plug-in thingy that plays mp3 from SD cards)
    5% laptop (usually inbuilt speakers, occasionally stream to the hifi via bluetooth)

2 What medium do you prefer?  Vinyl, CD, streaming, MP3,  etc.

Vinyl or CD mostly.  Streaming/MP3 usually just for previewing/checking-out stuff before getting a physical copy.  I do have a small mp3 collection on a NAS drive, mostly old or hard to source stuff...I do keep a lookout for physical copies of a lot of this material, but a lot of it is fairly rare or OOP.  

3 Do you hear everything you want to hear from your replay system?

Yeah.  A slightly nicer turntable might be nice, but "good enough" works for me.

4 In round figures, how much did your system cost or how much a similar system would cost today?

Probably somewhere in the £400-500 region.  Most of it picked up used over the years for peanuts, so hard to say...I could probably put together a similar system from new for a bit more...maybe £750?

5 Did you ever listen to music through a good Hi-Fi system and, if so, would you be tempted to try to get a better system than the one you have?

Never really tried out a "good"/high-end system, but I can't imagine the difference would be enough to warrant a wholesale upgrade.  Like I said, "good enough" is good enough for me.

6 Please add any further comments you wish on this subject

I'm a firm believer in "dedicated" listening, and prefer to actually make time to sit and listen to something, give it my attention.  Do much less listening to music on the move these days.  
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8815
    Car - Current car plays from hard disk, or from Spotify. Previous car had a CD rack.
    Around the house - ipad with IEMs, or just iPad 
    Kitchen - streamed in FLAC format, with Logitech DAC, and Denon amp and speakers.
    Lounge - streamed through Arcam amp
    Workshop - Spotify into a spare Denon setup

2 What medium do you prefer? WAV or FLAC 

3 Do you hear everything you want to hear from your replay system? No, but each of them suits it’s environment. When learning a song I purposely listen to it on a range of equipment because each brings out a different aspect.

4 In round figures, how much did your system cost or how much a similar system would cost today?
    Car - £25k, but that included a free secondhand car
    Kitchen - £500 then, less now
    Lounge - £2,500 in 2001. No current equivalent without doing some research.
    Workshop - nowt. Every component was surplus to requirements elsewhere.

5 Did you ever listen to music through a good Hi-Fi system and, if so, would you be tempted to try to get a better system than the one you have? 
    I’ve listened on all types of systems. I’d love to set up some nice speakers in the music room, but 50 years of loud music have degraded my ears somewhat, and I wouldn’t get much benefit.

I’m more concerned about what I can pick out in a performance than whether it sounds like being in a concert hall. Reverberation is a big thing for me, as is stereophonic listening. So many studio recordings have instruments recorded in isolation, and then panned with inappropriate reverb. Was it Rupert Neve or Joe Meek who described modern recordings as panned mono? In recent years I’ve spent more time playing in a band than attending a concert, so it sounds strange to me when a playback doesn’t reflect player positioning.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 343

SONOS for background music (installed in most rooms in the house). Decent HiFi system for proper listening (McIntosh SACD player, McIntosh pre and power amps, Harbeth SHL5+ speakers, Grado headphones for late night listening when others are sleeping). Vinyl for special occasions and feelings of nostalgia (Michell Engineering Orbe turntable). Car stereo when commuting. Sennheiser wireless headphones when listening to gear demos online.

CD/SACD/Vinyl in equal measure. Ripped CDs (ALAC) via SONOS. I too like to own my music.

Yes, from my proper HiFi. No, from SONOS or in the car.

Way more than I care to acknowledge.

Given the compromised nature of my listening room (my lounge), 
    I honestly don't think I could improve on what I have. I've owned many HiFi systems and what I have now is so good it's killed off any interest in purchasing more HiFi gear. If I had a bigger house, I'd just buy bigger Harbeth speakers (i.e. the Monitor 40.2s), but that ain't going to happen unless my six numbers come up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Mostly on my PC at work through AKG reference headphones or IK iLoud monitors via a Steinberg UR22 MK11 interface. Either CDs or Spotify.

I also have an Arcam based hi-fi system with a Rega turntable and Mission speakers.

I listen to MP3's, WAV files, vinyl records and CDs and sometimes cassettes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    1 How do you listen to music? 

These days it's usually Spotify (on high quality) in my home studio, as most of my listening is done late at night and this way I don't disturb my Mrs, who's sleeping. My audio interface, amp and monitors are pretty decent, so it sounds great. Otherwise, the Mrs and I will use the hifi (which has a Chromecast thingy connected). I also listen to a good 20-30 minutes of Eno/Budd ambient music on my iPod/Beyer DT250 headphones whilst lying in bed, before sleeping every single night.

2 What medium do you prefer? 

The majority of the music I love was recorded last century and sounds better on vinyl, likely due to better mastering. And I mean night and day better. Otherwise,I'm not really fussed.

Pretty much, yeah. I did borrow a Roksan Xerxes TT for a while when my Pink Triangle deck was in for repair and I miss the ultra-deep bass that the Xerxes could deliver.

At the time (1990s), I imagine it would have cost around £3,500 all-in. It's hard to put a price on now as it's all discontinued, but the tonearm on my turntable (Roksan Tabriz Zi) was something like £950 when it was last sold, though I bought mine quite some time ago and it wasn't anywhere near that much then!

I've heard a few very good hifi systems as well as my own. I can't imagine ever having the spare money to upgrade anything these days. If nothing else, I'd like some PMC speakers to replace the Mission 752Fs on my hifi, even though they do sound good. When we eventually move to our retirement house, a dedicated music room is one of the things we really want, definitely with some acoustic treatment (I remember how much better my home studio sounded with some fairly minimal treatment) and probably some soundproofing.

My hifi comprises of:
    Pink Triangle LPT GTi turntable/Roksan Tabriz Zi tonearm and Audio Technica AT F7 cartridge
    Exposure CD Player (Mk I)
    Nakamichi LX5 cassette deck
    Chromecast Audio
    Exposure XV amp
    Mission 752 Freedom speakers

Studio:
    MoTU 828 Mk III interface
    Sony CDP-XE510 CD player
    Audiolab 8000A amp
    PMC TB-2 speakers
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14589
    tFB Trader
    At work + home office + dining room - the radio or CD + decent-ish - mini stack system that is more convenient than true hi-fi

In the Lounge then 100% CD and a decent Hi-Fi without getting 'boutique' - Still have all my old vinyl but had no record player for 20 years or so - Need to change that

Never headphones - Never mobile phone or similar

Music on in some guise or another most of the working day
  • vizviz Frets: 10758

SONOS for background music (installed in most rooms in the house). Decent HiFi system for proper listening (McIntosh SACD player, McIntosh pre and power amps, Harbeth SHL5+ speakers, Grado headphones for late night listening when others are sleeping). Vinyl for special occasions and feelings of nostalgia (Michell Engineering Orbe turntable). Car stereo when commuting. Sennheiser wireless headphones when listening to gear demos online.

CD/SACD/Vinyl in equal measure. Ripped CDs (ALAC) via SONOS. I too like to own my music.

Yes, from my proper HiFi. No, from SONOS or in the car.

Way more than I care to acknowledge.

Given the compromised nature of my listening room (my lounge), I honestly don't think I could improve on what I have. I've owned many HiFi systems and what I have now is so good it's killed off any interest in purchasing more HiFi gear. If I had a bigger house, I'd just buy bigger Harbeth speakers (i.e. the Monitor 40.2s), but that ain't going to happen unless my six numbers come up.
    Nice :)

now we understand your username!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Firstly, thanks to everyone who contributed to this questionnaire.  The questions were posed to see just how important music is to musicians.  The position of the Hi-Fi system in the house has gone down in importance since the 1970s.  But it is gratifying to note that the music itself is still important.

As some of you noted, the task of analysing the data was interesting.  But I was more interested in the general opinions of the Forum members than the specifics.  Such an approach is not scientific but it gives an overall impression.  Which is what I wanted to get.

For those of you that are interested, this link is to the website that I posted my reply to.

https://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4961&p=90979#p90979

Thanks again guys.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    Rocker said:
    Firstly, thanks to everyone who contributed to this questionnaire.  The questions were posed to see just how important music is to musicians.  The position of the Hi-Fi system in the house has gone down in importance since the 1970s.  But it is gratifying to note that the music itself is still important.

As some of you noted, the task of analysing the data was interesting.  But I was more interested in the general opinions of the Forum members than the specifics.  Such an approach is not scientific but it gives an overall impression.  Which is what I wanted to get.

For those of you that are interested, this link is to the website that I posted my reply to.

https://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4961&p=90979#p90979

Thanks again guys.
    I'll take my earlier comments back.. that thread shows what high esteem they hold musicians. It'll be interesting to see what other responses you get.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12989
    One of the best things about being trained in maths and physics is that understanding Nyquist sampling theory has saved me a metric shit-tonne of money due to instant dismissal of lots of audiophile nonsense.

I've got quite a lot of vinyl - because vinyl is quite a "cool" medium - but I am always drawn back to this cartoon...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3073
    One of the best things about being trained in maths and physics is that understanding Nyquist sampling theory has saved me a metric shit-tonne of money due to instant dismissal of lots of audiophile nonsense.

I've got quite a lot of vinyl - because vinyl is quite a "cool" medium - but I am always drawn back to this cartoon...

What did it for me was getting a ‘remastered’ LP of Master Of Puppets for Christmas.   It sounds like absolute crap - and the current trend of everything becoming a double album so that the companies can charge more money is a rip off, frankly. 
    My turntable and cart are fairly reasonable, and have been set up properly,  so I just thought, “I’m throwing money away here, on something that sounds inferior to my more convenient way of listening to music”. 

I’d rather save my money and spend it on going to the gigs of the artists I like, rather than building a vast collection of stuff that my kids will have to dispose of in years to come.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24737

a. wired earbuds
    b. wireless earbuds
    c. wired on ear cans
    d. wired over ear cans. closed back
    e. wired over ear cans, open back
    f. bone conducting headphones
    g. car. Whatever system is already built in.
    h. iPod dock system
    i. 5.1 AV amp setup in stereo, sometimes with a sub.
    j. Pair of studio monitors with PC and audio interface
    k. Bluetooth battery powered speaker thingy. Waterproof and floats too. 

I don't have a LP player or a tape deck anymore. Anything else is fine.
    I prefer CD's but only because I like to have the physical backup and I still like liner notes & lyric sheets etc. I also like to rip them as I want rather than what a vendor wants.

This is very much a moving goalpost.
    When I'm running with bone conduction headphones all I want is something recognisable and to be able to hear the traffic.
    If I want music to be on for a social occasion then the quality of the replay is not as important as it not getting in the way of the purpose of the social occasion. Similarly, if I'm doing something noisy like working or cooking then it's not about hearing every tiny detail.
    If I want to just sit and listen and do nothing else, then I'll use my studio monitors. They have an amazing amount of detail. As expected really, they are designed for studio recording / mixing use and to give an accurate reproduction and not flatter the recording at all.

Pair of Yamaha HS7 studio monitors are about £340 + stands about £100 + interface £150 = £590 excluding the computer.

Yes. Naim / Cyrus / Marantz rigs. 
    No - I hear more detail in my studio monitors. 

6 Please add any further comments you wish on this subject.
    N/A.
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    edited June 2020
    1. For a long time it has been lossless files via iTunes on my MacBook as I mainly listened to live music. Have just got my old Hi-Fi separates out of mothballs and am attempting to get a decent sound out of them currently as I think that the amp may have gone ‘off’ over time and require servicing:

Rega P3/Goldring 1042
    Marantz CD17
    Naim Nait 2
    ProAc Tablette Signatures

2. I prefer listening to vinyl for the musicality, ease of analogue sound, bass response and 3D room filling qualities but just can’t get my MacBook to play it! I find CD to be a great middle ground as I like to own the physical product as part of a collection. In the future I could see myself adding something like a Brennan to have a digital jukebox facility, perhaps in a second system.

3. MacBook sounds surpringly good through it’s onboard speakers but of course volume is limited and there is no real bass to speak of. Once my separates system is sorted I expect this to sound pretty good.

4. MacBook would be around £1,000 with the equivalent Hi-Fi system coming in at around £3,500 all in or so in today’s money. The main expense has been building up the music collections on vinyl and CD.

5. Yes - I used to own one! Been on the Hi-Fi upgrade merry-go-round for years and have become wary of throwing more ££££ at it. Want to get the best out of what I have for now.

6. When I think back to my childhood in the 1970’s my folks gave pride of place to their Hi-Fi separates system - Akai receiver and cassette deck, Rotel turntable and Wharfedale speakers and from memory they sounded good. Also had an old 1960’s Dynatron sideboard style record player, amp and speaker unit that had a unique, rather coloured, warm valve sound. Later on they moved on to a Denon Lifestyle type integrated system and KEF speakers. I was lucky enough to be given a Pioneer tower style separates system as a teenager which set me on the Hi-Fi road. One of the first things I did once I started work was to buy my own separates system, informed by the magazine reviews of the day - parts of which I still own.

I heard once from a hi-end Hi-Fi dealer that he had a household name musician interested in buying a complete system. Instead of going for the all-out, Linn/Naim system of the day he ended up taking home a complete Arcam system (perfectly good but unexiciting kit in the big scheme of things). The dealer felt that musicians were able to use their musical imagination to hear what they needed to hear.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1504
    As an oldie, I have several systems that I've bought over the years and have around 1,500 LP's, over 2,000 CD's, some SACD's and DVA's and about 100 12" singles from the early 80's.

My main playback system in my music room is a Linn Sondek, Ittok Arm and Sumikp Blue Point cartridge, Carver Tube CD player, McIntosh Receiver, Dynaco Stereo 70 amp and Energy speakers. 
    My other system is in my office and is a Thorens TD150/Linn Ittok and Dynavector cartridge, Denon universal DVD player (plays SACD's and CD's too),  Quad 34/405 and B&W Rock Solid speakers. 
    I've also got the playback system in my studio, which consists of JBL 4412's driven by a Carver A780 amp and JBL 12" subwoofers driven my a pair of Carver TFM15s.

I also listen in my car and on my phone when travelling, but have ripped all my CD's and some LP's and select things from that to listen to.

I prefer vinyl but don't mind CD's.  I don't listen to streaming services, I still buy CD's and records.

Yes, all the systems at home give me the sound I want.  The car and phone have some compromises, but given the background noise in them, they are fine.

To be honest, I have no idea, not having bought anything in hi-fi for years.

All the time.  At some point I will upgrade the Energy speakers to a set of B&W's.

6 Please add any further comments you wish on this subject.
    I spent a lot of time getting my system together and have a good friend who used to work in the Hi-Fi industry at Sound By Singer in NYC.  I've heard systems that get into 6 figures there, but he actually admitted that the sound from my main system was pretty good and it would take a lot of money to upgrade it (though my speakers were Joseph Audio at that point and I had Quicksilver monoblocs, both of which were destroyed by the flood from Hurricane Sandy).  Since I've bought records most of my life, I think that's why I still prefer them.  I was a very early adopter of CD's and still have my Sony CDP-101, so have gone through the convenience vs overall sound thoughts lots of times.  For some music, I do like CD's, but playback a well mastered LP on a good system and you still feel more connection to the artist (imho)

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22455

All digitally. I buy albums and they get uploaded to my PCloud account. In the bedroom I have a PC running an SPL Crimson audio interface, a Denon stereo acting as a power amp, and a pair of Silver 5L closefield monitors. Due to CV19 this computer is in use by the other adult four or five days a week with work so currently the majority of my big speakers listening is through the laptop on the kitchen table running a Native Instruments KA2 interface hooked up to a pair of JBL LSR305 Mk 2 speakers. AT-M50X headphones are available for this.

Mobile listening: Fiio M7 player with either a second pair of M50X phones (usually longer trips) or a pair of Venture Electronics Monk Plus earphones. The Monks are one of the few earphones that actually stay in my ears and do perfectly as a light always carry option in the bag. 

2 What medium do you prefer?  

Digital. 

Yep

Silvers and stereo: £350
    JBL LSR305: £200. 

I've had 'better' gear. Had the Silvers for 15 years now and I love their sound. Happy with them. 

• I listen to music any way I can, as often as I can. Have done since I was a kid, didn't matter much how then, doesn't in all honesty matter that much now either. 

I've had my current stuff for decades, love how it sounds, it's had an unbelievable amount of music through it, zero intention of changing anything, despite being regularly informed by the cognoscenti that those £1000 interconnects will open up the .... ( fill your own words in here)  And the £3000 this and that will let me hear things on albums that I've been listening to for 40 years, blissfully ignorant that i've missed most of the magic...

Er, OK. 

Marantz CD63 ki signature, Mission 780 se, Technics A900 mk2, Sennheiser Hd25-1's ( original pair from the late 80's - had em from new!! ) Project Debut turntable. Lovely gear in it's day, lovely gear to-day...

Oh, and the music...millions of tracks. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8071
    I have a decent hifi, and i buy vinyl new most months.  The most recent being the new album by The Nightingales, BC Camplight, and Lovely Eggs. 

Hi-fi is uk make by NVA.  I have a passive pre amplifier, and monoblock power amps. Runs into Tannoy Monitors. 

I have two turntables, a highly modded Rega Plannar 2 and a NAD 533. Both very similar (made on the same production line, and are almost identical), but sound very different. I’m planning on selling one and getting something better, though to be fair, they’re great turntables. 

I also listen to CD’s, and I stream music to my hifi from my iPhone.  I have an Apple Music subscription, so there is a vast library to choose from, and the quality is generally very good. 
    It’s super convenient. I like to own the music, if my subscription ends, the all my music is gone. But I’ll always have my vinyl and CD’s. 

I work from home, so I have a pair of Bluetooth speakers (Anker Flare) giving me stereo, and I mostly listen to BBC radio 6 shows in catchup, mostly Marc Riley. 

Out and about, I use Apple AirPod 2 headphone They sound great, solid noise cancelling, and recharge themselves when I put them back in the case. 

I also have Bose Noise cancelling headphone, but haven’t used them since getting the AirPod Pro’s. 

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4232
    I have an huge 80s Sharp ghettoblaster , various 80s hi fi and the computers. I tend to play copies of my tapes now though after recently getting a Metallica . . And justice for all tape chewed up in my small , boom box (a Aldi’s 80 repro) and original tapes are expensive to replace now .
    i have a cheap Chinese mp3 I can play through the ghettoblaster too. I enjoy playing my vinyl though , got one by an 80s AOR ish band on at moment called Device ,