Reamping w/Garageband, Focusrite 2i2 & HX Stomp

I want to have a go a re-amping some guitar recordings and am trying to figure out how to do it with what I have rather than needing to buy anything, unless of course it's absolutely necessary. 

From what I have read re-amping requires converting a line level signal to instrument level signal so that the guitar amp 'sees' the input signal as it would a guitar if it were to be used as normal. I don't have a re-amp box so wondered if I can use my HX stomp to convert the signal from Line to Instrument level before it hits the amp. 

L/Mono 1/4 output from Focusrite 2i2 > L/Mono input on HX Stomp (set to Line Level) > L/Mono output on HX Stomp (set to Instrument Level) > Amp. 

Would that work? I've not done this before so any advice would be appreciated! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dan_CDan_C Frets: 13
    Bump for some advice and help!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    edited June 2020
    You can use your stomp as an interface and re-amp with just that.

Use input 5+6 to record a dry signal, then set the output of the dry signal to 5+6 and use HX Edit to set the input block of your patch to USB 5+6
    edited June 2020
    Thanks @ICM1980! Cool, I'll have a look at that. I'm not sure I'm able to set the output to USB 5&6 in Garageband but will take another look to check. I have seen this done in Logic, Protools or similar but can't seem to find the feature (setting the output of a single track to a certain USB number or output number) on GB.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I've not used Garageband myself, so I'm not sure on how outputs are set up. 
    Doesn't look like GB has the ability to rout the output to anything more specific that the audio interface attached so would my original idea work, if nothing else to see if re-amping works in my situation and then maybe I jump up to something more capable like Logic etc so I can do it more efficiently?