Reaper from an external drive

Hi, my mac desktop is running out of space. Can you run my Reaper files from an external drive? And if so, do I need to do something specific when moving all my files over? I don't want to just move them all then realise that Reaper can no longer access them.

Cheers!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited June 2020
    Have a look at the video section on the reaper home download page. The first few vids one of them Kenny shows how to set up your external drive for all your projects etc 
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Ah thanks. I can't find it - what's the video called?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    ijonty said:
    Ah thanks. I can't find it - what's the video called?
    try Reaper 5 Explained . vid 2  Starting a new project.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I often move projects over to an external SSD, and delete from my hard drive. Opening a project from the SSD is a bit of a pain, as Reaper wants to be pointed to each projects Audio folder. I dont know if it is a setting I need to look at, and it only takes a moment to work to the correct folder, but to keep things simple I prefer to only work on projects that are on my system drive.
    It might cause problems down the road-if I do any work on a backed up copy, when the original version is still on my drive.
    With Reaper-anything is possible, but I like to keep things as simple as possible, backing stuff up is a necessary evil/