Best set-up for both record Dry & Wet

What's Hot
gorguts6gorguts6 Frets: 0
edited June 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all!

So here is my current dilemna.

My set-up is:
  • Laney L5 Studio:
  •             this amp has a dummy load, so I can play & record with headphone, silently.
  •             DI XLR: that can record the wet.
  •             it has a USB: that can do both dry and wet, left and right but i will not use it because 1. it doesn't work in my cubase on macbook, no idea why, I'm in touch with Laney support on this 2. I don't want to switch audio interface in cubase each time I want to record a riff
  • Yamaha MG10XUF: digital mixer that I use to record in cubase via USB
My need is:
  • a DI, as the Yamaha MG doesn't take instrument level, I need to convert the signal.
  • Being able to plug my guitar into the mixer and play without any hassle of turning on many things (amp or cubase).
  • Being able to record both dry and wet at the same time
  • Being able to record with or without the Laney If I want to, with a wet monitoring
My current options are:
  1. Buy a Radial JD 48 (that requires phantom power), so I can record the dry, and at the same time send a signal to the Laney, and take the DI XLR of the Laney into a 2nd channel input in the digital mixer (will not need phantom power and I cannot activate it only on one input on the mixer, so not sure the impact of having phantom power on on the Laney input that doesn't need it. Great set-up but here if I want to play a bit without the Laney, I need cubase to have bias FX do the wet monitoring....which is sometimes annoying to have to launch cubase just for 10mn of playing.
  2. Buy a Line 6 HX Stomp: where I can take the jack 1/4 output, set it up to Line level, and plug it to the mixer with a Jack 1/4 on one side and on the other a XLR with a converter cable.
  3. Buy a Two note Topedo Captor X, that has IRs loader, 2 XLR output so I can record dry and wet at the same time. Only problem here is that I will always have to have the Laney turn on, as the Captor X is a load box and only works with an amp.
Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Hey @gorguts6 ;
    I can't help, but you have posted this in a 'classifieds' subform. Click on the cog wheel top right of your OP and choose 'Studio Recording' in the Gear forum.

Good luck, you'll get good help
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    edited June 2020
    Are you planning to put the DI (dry) signal through an amp sim in Cubase?  If so, you are adding a lot of expense when you could monitor the wet signal from the Laney and take a DI, pre Laney, using this;

48volt or battery if you are worried about having the phantom power across the Laney XLR out.
  • gorguts6gorguts6 Frets: 0
    Hi,

Thxs for sharing this reference Musicwolf, it looks indeed pretty much like the Radial but way cheaper. I am considering buying it.

Yes I plan to apply Bias FX plugin in Cubase for the dry i plan to pass through this DI and in my mixer.

I have educated myself a bit on these 3 products, I think I'll pass on the HX Stomp, too much options where you spend your time tweaking. The only main feature I like si that it can have 2 channels in parallel to record the dry and the wet at the same time from the same device, I think this is valuable. 

I've also decide not to go with the Captor X option, as I already have the dummy load with the Laney bust most of all because you cannot use it without turning on your amp, I want to have this option.

I am currently looking at an alternative option with the Two note Captor CAB M Pedal.
    I have looked at the Nux Solid Studion the Engl cabloader & the Strymon Iridium, but they always have something missing for my use case.

Thoughts?

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    gorguts6 said:
    Hi all!

So here is my current dilemna.

My set-up is:
    • Laney L5 Studio:
    •             this amp has a dummy load, so I can play & record with headphone, silently.
    •             DI XLR: that can record the wet.
    •             it has a USB: that can do both dry and wet, left and right but i will not use it because 1. it doesn't work in my cubase on macbook, no idea why, I'm in touch with Laney support on this 2. I don't want to switch audio interface in cubase each time I want to record a riff
    • Yamaha MG10XUF: digital mixer that I use to record in cubase via USB
    My need is:
    • a DI, as the Yamaha MG doesn't take instrument level, I need to convert the signal.
    • Being able to plug my guitar into the mixer and play without any hassle of turning on many things (amp or cubase).
    • Being able to record both dry and wet at the same time
    • Being able to record with or without the Laney If I want to, with a wet monitoring
    My current options are:
    1. Buy a Radial JD 48 (that requires phantom power), so I can record the dry, and at the same time send a signal to the Laney, and take the DI XLR of the Laney into a 2nd channel input in the digital mixer (will not need phantom power and I cannot activate it only on one input on the mixer, so not sure the impact of having phantom power on on the Laney input that doesn't need it. Great set-up but here if I want to play a bit without the Laney, I need cubase to have bias FX do the wet monitoring....which is sometimes annoying to have to launch cubase just for 10mn of playing.
    2. Buy a Line 6 HX Stomp: where I can take the jack 1/4 output, set it up to Line level, and plug it to the mixer with a Jack 1/4 on one side and on the other a XLR with a converter cable.
    3. Buy a Two note Topedo Captor X, that has IRs loader, 2 XLR output so I can record dry and wet at the same time. Only problem here is that I will always have to have the Laney turn on, as the Captor X is a load box and only works with an amp.
    Thoughts?
    I thought Mac's did multi client audio, so you should not have to switch between the mixer and the L5? Personally, I'd try to get the USB interface working on the L5, as this sounds like a simple resolution without spending any dosh. I'm not that familiar with Mac's so I cant really help with this. Do you have a different computer you can test it with? 
  • gorguts6gorguts6 Frets: 0
    I tried two different Macbook, and Air and a Pro.
    I have never heard of being able to connect two audio interface at the same time in cubase, if it's possible, that would be great.

I actually just bought the Torpedo CAB M pedal, which is really terrific, but doesn't help on the dry side of things.
    But my wet is now way better compared to just Bias FX, now using a REVV pedal in the front of the Laney head making use of its power amp with only its Clean channel, going into the Captor pedal with its great speaker sim, going into my Mixer / PA, this is killer.

Anybody tried or has feedback on the new Z-tone DI Box: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ztonedi/
    that could help me split the signal right after my guitar?