What DAW are you guys using?

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Reaper.

First thing I tried when I sold my hardware DAW (Akai DPS16) and just stayed with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Logic, for some of the features
    Reaper, for the features i know about
    PT, to remind myself why I went to Reaper, and to open older projects for conversion to Reaper
    Mixbus, tried it a few times, but don't have a big enough monitor
    Ableton, bought a cheap license, couldn't get into it after trying Reaper
    Bandlab, it was free, and it had an android version for my phone.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'll be honest, I'm a Reaper guy too. I tried pro tools free last week, takes 8 minutes to load up (and I tried it more than once lol) so that's a no from me. 
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited June 2020
    Reaper 6, Logic Pro X, Studio One, Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, Cubase Elements, and Propellerheads Reason 10. Need to upgrade that last one to 11 actually.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, just upgraded my copy of Reason to 11 Suite.

Bye!

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Reaper 6, Logic Pro X, Studio One, Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, Cubase Elements, and Propellerheads Reason 10. Need to upgrade that last one to 11 actually.

7 DAWs? Anyone would think you worked for a music software company and needed to test new apps in each environment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:

7 DAWs? Anyone would think you worked for a music software company and needed to test new apps in each environment.
    Anyone would think that! :lol:

That's part of it. But I do use them all every now and then for various things. Cubase Elements for instance has better audio > midi functionality than Reaper does, so I'll often do that job in Cubase and then export the midi and throw it into Reaper.

Reason and Ableton I use for electronica stuff, Bitwig I use for when I want to mess around with tons of modulation and things. Logic is fast to just get it up and running and record a brief idea in, and then get the tempo from it and all that. They added some great tempo detection stuff in a previous version, so that's kind of like my dictaphone.

Most everything is finalized in Reaper I'd say. Although I wish I had started our next album in Studio One, because Reaper projects can get very messy and unmanageable, and it's just a pigs ears to look at!

I also have Digital Performer .. but we wont take about that. ugh.

Bye!

• lentolento Frets: 116

That's part of it. But I do use them all every now and then for various things. Cubase Elements for instance has better audio > midi functionality than Reaper does, so I'll often do that job in Cubase and then export the midi and throw it into Reaper.

I'm just trying out Reaper for a 60 day evaluation before I decide whether or not to buy it. Have to ask, what exactly are you referring to  .... ?
    Being a big midi user and used to Cubase, does it fall down on the editing side of things or the stability ?
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Samplitude ProX
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    Keefy said:

Anyone would think that! :lol:

Reason and Ableton I use for electronica stuff, Bitwig I use for when I want to mess around with tons of modulation and things. Logic is fast to just get it up and running and record a brief idea in, and then get the tempo from it and all that. They added some great tempo detection stuff in a previous version, so that's kind of like my dictaphone.

Most everything is finalized in Reaper I'd say. Although I wish I had started our next album in Studio One, because Reaper projects can get very messy and unmanageable, and it's just a pigs ears to look at!

I also have Digital Performer .. but we wont take about that. ugh.
    I also switch between DAW's depending on what I am doing.
    ACID Pro is actually great for messing about with loops and pitching things differently in an interesting way.

I mostly write midi in Logic and track/mix audio in Pro Tools.
    Nuendo is a new thing for me- but I like doing synthetic drums in Cubase.

The other DAW's I have mostly because I was able to get access to some NFR's from working for various companies use them just so I have an idea of what to do in them, without necessarily being an expert in them.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Ableton live for the past 4 years after switching from my first DAW cubase. 
  • I'm a long time Logic user, but I occasionally have a little fling with Reaper, if only to remind myself how much I can do in Logic without having to think, and also how familiarity breeds contempt  ... Reaper is a sleek little number though  ;)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Jetfire said:
    I'll be honest, I'm a Reaper guy too. I tried pro tools free last week, takes 8 minutes to load up (and I tried it more than once lol) so that's a no from me. 
    Was that Protools Free ? if so that is a vile piece of software .... 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Danny1969 said:
    Jetfire said:
    Was that Protools Free ? if so that is a vile piece of software .... 

Pro Tools First (obviously, the Vile Edition). 

Its so slow, I just tossed it off and opened Reaper. Im going to have a deep dive into that. 

People say the GUI is horrible but seems perfectly fine to me....
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Ha Ha, yeah that's the version I meant ...... it's their attempt to hook people I think. You can change the default GUI on Reaper. basically change the whole skin
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • lento said:

I'm just trying out Reaper for a 60 day evaluation before I decide whether or not to buy it. Have to ask, what exactly are you referring to  .... ?
    Being a big midi user and used to Cubase, does it fall down on the editing side of things or the stability ?
    Nah nothing like that. What I mean is, if I have a recording of a kick drum mic, I can put that into Cubase and extract midi notes at the positions where the kick is hit. Then I can use this midi to trigger a sampler at the same time as the audio-track, reinforcing my original kick drum with a sample.

Reaper's midi editing itself is very capable.

Bye!

• lentolento Frets: 116
    Ah, that's good to know then ....

I will say the thing that's impressed me the most, so far, is the tape-style varispeed control !
    This is something I've wanted in Cubase for a long time. I believe Logic has something similar, but I've always been on a PC.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    80% Reaper 
    20% Studio One
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Depends what I'm doing. if just messing about im happy with garage band. and anything else I use Ableton and reaper but since I got a new laptop I can finally try logic out. which has a 90 day free trial at the  moment to see if I enjoy it. so far I think logic will replace reaper.
  • Just to be the odd one out. Harrison Mixbus
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    Reaper and Ableton Live Suite. Mostly Reaper but Live is very good at some things.