Direct recording

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited May 2014
    digitalscream;26595" said:

The problem with Eleven is that it requires you to use Pro Tools. I'd rather cut my dick off, frankly.
    Hey everyone! Look what I found!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2619
    edited May 2014
    octatonic said:
    EdGrip said:
    The Raveonettes' album "Chain Gang of Love" was guitar > RAT pedal > computer audio input, apparently. Like this track:

Sounds like it too. ;)
    I once recorded with a DI'ed Rat clone. Within the context of the mix, it sounded really good. It's great when you do the 'wrong' thing and it sounds right:)

Edited to add: Here it is. ...a bit of a garagey rock utter stupidity - I think I might of had a few beers at the time of recording:)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22278
    I have Amplitube 3 on the desktop PC and have just sold my Eleven Rack. Amplitube is fun for practice but the overall tones don't work for me. The 11R is very good but I missed specific effects. Torpedo Wall of Sound has totally sorted me out now. 

Setup:

Dirt pedals-->Diamond compressor acting as a preamp-->delay and modulation pedals-->direct into RME Multiface--> Reaper running various plugins. 

Wall of Sound adds the amp sound I want. The JC-120 speaker impulses are great and I'm totally happy with the sound I now have. 

I switched to the RME last month and took the M-Audio Delta 66 out and I'm considering going back. The RME converters are cleaner and clearer but I'm not liking them as much for DI guitar. The slightly crappier conversion of the Delta just works better. 

Currently demoing Hofa's IQ-Reverb and loving it to bits. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26796
    edited May 2014
    Branshen said:
    digitalscream;26595" said:

The problem with Eleven is that it requires you to use Pro Tools. I'd rather cut my dick off, frankly.
    Hey everyone! Look what I found!
    Oi, less of that :P The Eleven plugin still requires PT, but thankfully the Eleven Rack doesn't any more. Phew :)

octatonic said:
    That would be an extreme response- we can't have that.
    Out of curiosity, why?
    It just seems like the worst way to do the job. It's huge, it's clunky, the user interface seems like they specifically designed it to not do what you want it to (whatever you want it to do) and any version I can afford is so limited it's pointless to even try.

Contrast that with Reaper, which basically just does everything you ask of it, in a tiny download, with no fuss whatsoever.
    <space for hire>
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22278
    ^^
    Too right. Reaper is an 8Mb download: the Eleven Rack external editor is 14Mb. Gives you an idea of how tightly Reaper is packed :)

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2014
    Which type of sound are you going for - clean, crunchy, or high gain?

I can get pretty good direct-recorded sounds for the first two using consumer-level gear (e.g. Logic). Adding a bit of delay and compression can help, and then using a mastering preset.

Double-tracking can help get a 'big' sound.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    I think you can get some really good sounds direct...just *different* to my amp.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2014
    Try the Palmer Pocket Amp. I just got one from @monquixote. With a bit of reverb it sounds huge, records really well and easy to mix. Best guitar DI/amp/speaker sim that I've ever used, and I've tried dozens. 

Not meant to be used as a headphone amp though (its headphone out sounds rough), but via the XLR out into the desk or a good solid state recorder it sounds great.