Recommend me some jazz guitar tracks and albums please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Barney Kessel
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Tal Farlow - Jimmy Bruno - Charlie Byrd - Russell Malone - Gene Bertoncini are all worth checking out 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Slowly working my way through this lot. 

Many thanks everyone. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Looking outside of Jazz circles a little is an album of jazz standards covered by Steve Miller, lovely arrangements and tones throughout.
    On your recommendation I bought this album.  Don't know why as I could have easily listened to it on Spotify, but maybe two factors at work: first I usually listen with more commitment if I've paid for it and second I know I appreciate Steve Miller's voice and 'harmonic signature' and was interested to see how he dealt with these standards.  I was not disappointed.  That said, Steve is a bit too 'gentle' and conventional in his arrangements for it to really strike a chord (sorry!).

The guy who really hits the spot for me is Andy Summers. Fabulous guitar tone, perfect timing and occasional dissonant sallies make Last Dance of Mr X possibly my fave jazz album ever, with Green Chimneys (more traditional) and Peggy's Blue Skylight (more adventurous with some wonderful vocal collaborations) well worth a listen.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Just realised no one's said Pat Martino yet, so Pat Martino - a very important jazz guitarist, cannot be missed off the list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Very fond of Chris Standring - modern exponent of cool jazz nothing too lairy but always enjoyable and tasteful
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The late Ronny Jordan ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thanks to Spotify I can follow up on all these suggestions and more, so on Saturday I had a good time listening to Grant Green (On Green Street especially) and Kenny Burrell (God Bless the Child).