Taylor GS Mini or Martin 000Jr

What's Hot
pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
Anyone with experience with the above...would like to try them out, but due to covid 19 that’s looking unlikely...so maybe order 1 of the 2 online....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Have played both. Taylor GS Mini all the way – I massively regret selling mine.
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I've no experience of the Martin but had an all-koa GS-Mini - beautiful looking guitar and pretty decent sound. However, IMO it is beaten hands down by an Eastman ACTG - which is a similar size and has all solid woods , better build quality, greater character to the tone all for around the same price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    beed84 said:
    Did yours have the pickup, and if so, es-2 or es-b? Did you rate it?
  • i have a koa mini and its a very fine guitar indeed. perfect size and a very decent sound for something so small. not tried the martin junior though. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    GTC said:
    I've no experience of the Martin but had an all-koa GS-Mini - beautiful looking guitar and pretty decent sound. However, IMO it is beaten hands down by an Eastman ACTG - which is a similar size and has all solid woods , better build quality, greater character to the tone all for around the same price.
    +1

The Eastman is actually a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the base model GS Mini. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Kilgore said:
    GTC said:
    +1

The Eastman is actually a couple of hundred quid cheaper than the base model GS Mini. 
    The solid mahogany back and sides models (solid spruce top) without electronics are a couple of hundred pounds cheaper - but the solid ovangkol back and sides model with Fishman electronics (which work surprisingly well) is more on par. I got a brand new solid spruce / ovangkol lefty (with electronics) from Belgium for £500 and, for me, in comparison with the GS Mini it is no contest.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Branshen said:
    beed84 said:
    Did yours have the pickup, and if so, es-2 or es-b? Did you rate it?
    It was the ES-2 pickup but I never used it, so I can't comment on that feature. Nevertheless,  it was such a great sounding and very playable guitar out of the box.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    https://youtu.be/RiB7VCwOmZ8

This video might help I have the GS mini Koa and love it to death especially recorded it just seems to sit well in a  mix for songwriting.and always amazes me for such a small cheap acoustic. I think the mahogany and Sitka versions all have a different colour

That said the PRS has my interest as something different

The Martin I would expect to have to EQ it a lot but it does sort of hit that Martin sound. 

I don't really think about is it real wood at this price point for me its what sound right 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JontommyJontommy Frets: 2
    GS mini all day out of those two. 
    Played them back to back a few times & always preferred the sound, feel & look of the Taylor. Mahogany or koa would be my preference 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    No brainer . . . GS Mini . . . Sorted
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    I will almost certainly buy a GS Mini in the next month or two. I have two used examples on my ebay watch list at the monent - a mahogany at £775 and a Koa at £825. I have no intention of bidding for either, I’m just trying to annoy the sellers because I can get them new for £599 and £799 respectively. WTF is going on with those prices?
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    I will almost certainly buy a GS Mini in the next month or two. I have two used examples on my ebay watch list at the monent - a mahogany at £775 and a Koa at £825. I have no intention of bidding for either, I’m just trying to annoy the sellers because I can get them new for £599 and £799 respectively. WTF is going on with those prices?
    Yes what is with that! I was watching a bog standard one on eBay up at £990 last week. It was open to offers so I offered them a tenner to give some perspective. They were not  amused.....
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    edited June 2020
    I mean, even the ones who are looking for £480 for a used £529 guitar have lost my interest straight away, but ADDING OVER £100 TO THE NEW PRICE? They’re not discontinued, and there seems to be loads in stock at the usual places.

Also saw a bog standard 15 year old MIM Classic 60s Strat listed for £699? I bought a brand new one for less than half that!
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Pm'd