Semi-hollow GSP Koa Strat build

What's Hot
So it is three years now since I took delivery of a custom ordered GSP Basses body and neck, I was very happy with the workmanship and how they came out. I am pleased to report that much progress has been made lately so I thought I'd start a build thread whilst the build is still actually in progress.

One day I would really like to design my own body & headstock shape but in the meantime the idea behind this build was to stick to the basic template of a Strat. I wanted a semi-hollow guitar, mainly as I really enjoy the interaction you get with an amp at lower volumes. I think a Strat with an f-hole works really well as long as there isn't a pickguard, those EJ Fenders don't look right to me. I went with a black korina back and koa top because, well just look at them! So I am expecting a comparatively fatter tone than most Strats due to the construction and woods.

The pickup configuration is HS- I would actually use the middle pickup a fair bit on a regular Strat but it does physically get in the way of my playing style so I've left it out on this guitar. I also wanted a fully floating bridge so I asked for it to be routed to allow pulling up on the trem. Also I had seen Graham’s very nice contoured neck heel on some of his other guitars so I went with that, he also installed the Grainger neck ferrules as I wanted to use threaded bolts to attach the neck as opposed to wood screws. Here’s the body before I received it (the masking tape denoting my request to move the 5-way switch as again I find the regular position gets in the way of my playing style):

IMG_3134

And then me doing some sanding in the sunshine:

Version 2
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Nice!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    and a side jack too! Sensible improvements
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Roland said:
    and a side jack too! Sensible improvements
    Agreed, always hated the standard Strat jack socket 
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    edited June 2020
    Indeed- here's my nickel side jack plate, for some silly reason I liked the idea of having something from Gibson on there

IMG_2611
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    So the original plan was to give it an oil finish myself. But then I thought I should ask my friend and neighbour Scott from SC Relics to give it a thin clear nitro finish. And turns out that was exactly the right decision! Here's how the top came out:

101426434_584975765765862_3116098463733907456_n

And here's the back- before:

101217688_882984658868527_233465351239630848_n

And after!

101487571_282429899619250_2631792432403972096_n
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Very nice indeed. Good decision 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1795
    Lovely Koa is my kryptonite was that just clear or a warm tint? Looks tasty.
    Lovely Koa is my kryptonite was that just clear or a warm tint? Looks tasty.
    It is just clear, came out lovely.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    @uksaint7 These are the last two Koa tops I have.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK while I'm waiting for the finish to dry I thought I'd post the only pic I have of the neck..

IMG_2294

It is getting a thin nitro finish on the front and then I am going to oil the back. One of the reasons I've gone with the gloss finish on the front is so I can use a waterslide decal for a logo, I got some from Rothko & Frost. And if the body is anything to go by it should really bring out the wood too! I do like the feel of an oiled back of neck, should work very well on the rosewood. I have a tin of the Crimson guitar finishing oil I was planning to use unless anybody else has any other recommendations?
  • Nice! What are you doing for hardware and electronics?

Thanks! OK hardware wise I’ve gone for everything nickel plated, I wanted it to age with the finish. The last 10+ years I’ve spent playing two Ibanez (an RG and a 335 style) which, despite putting a lot of hours on them, both look pretty much as good as new which does leave you feeling a bit cheated!

So the bridge is the Floyd Rose non-fine tuner. The single locking trem is enjoying a bit of a resurgence recently- Guthrie’s got one on his guitar, so has Pete Thorn. I see it as a good compromise- you get to still use the regular tuners as there’s no locking nut but having the strings clamped at the bridge definitely aids tuning stability. I’ve also purchased a brass block, pop-in arm and some proper mounting studs- unbelievably these just get shipped with two wood screws to mount! I have a Tremol-No as well in case I break a string or want to change my tuning.

Machine heads I’ve gone for some Hipshot open-gear staggered post locking tuners with vintage buttons. And the pickups I have for it are a Bare Knuckle VHII and an Irish Tour.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the BK brown sugar set in my partscaster. They're fantastic pickups. 
    Picked up my guitar from SC Relics the other day, am very happy with how it came out. So the body is thin nitro as is the fingerboard and headstock. If you look closely at the photo of the back of the neck you'll see the neck shaft is pictured unfinished, I've just applied the first coat of oil.

IMG_3116

IMG_3119
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    So I've finished oiling the neck, it has come out very well. I applied a few coats wet sanding through the grades using the Crimson finishing oil, buffing after each application with heavy duty paper towel.

IMG_3185

IMG_3186

The pics aren't great but the graduation between the gloss nitro finished headstock and oiled neck shaft has come out well too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So next to turn my attention to the bridge. The Floyd Rose Non-Fine Tuner trem looks like a great system.

IMG_3179
    But I've availed of a few mods from aftermarket upgrades they offer..

IMG_3180
    First up are the two wood screws supplied to mount to the body. They're pretty chunky looking but I just don't like the idea of using wood screws to mount a floating trem. I didn't even like the idea of using wood screws to mount the neck, I'm using inserts and bolts- so I bought some proper inserts and studs for the bridge too.
    Secondly I've gone for a brass block instead of what I'm guessing is a zinc alloy block. It is a good deal more substantial than the stock one as you can see here.
    IMG_3183
    Thirdly I was very happy to see they offer a pop-in arm. Especially one where you can adjust the tension with an allen key rather than relying on, for example, the little plastic washers as with an Ibanez Edge.

IMG_3182
    Lastly I got some noiseless springs. Cos nobody likes squeaky springs. And they look pretty cool with the black finish.
    Here's how it is looking now.

IMG_3184