Cabinet 1x10 /12

fabienfabien Frets: 0
edited June 2020 in Making & Modding
Good evening,

I own a cab Blackstar HT 112 loaded with a blackbird 50, I like this speaker a lot, I can get a nice clean to a powerful distortion.

However, I am building my first cab and I would like to pair this 12" speaker with a 10", but I don't know which one. I do this for experimentation, if it doesn't work...you know...c'est la vie!

My ears are too young too figure what kind of sound give the blackbird and what other speaker could match with it.

I can't get any information on the blackbird, its sensitivity for instance.

My amp is a Peavey classic 20 head.

Since this gear is from UK i thought that maybe someone could help me. Is this speaker worth mixing with a 10" one, if yes, which one? And does anybody knows the "identity" or sound signature of the blackbird.

I hope my English is clear.

Have a good night.

Fabien

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fabienfabien Frets: 0
    Hello,

No knowledge about mixing speakers?
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    edited June 2020
    For simplicity its easyist to match it with a speaker of the same impedance, I'm guessing yours is 16 ohms,
       I dont know if matching with a 10 inch is a good idea,is it to share a cab?

I've not tried it but I'd guess a celestion V10 might complement the Blackbird well.

Wellcome to tfb
    When logic and proportion
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    Would be worth measuring the resistance of the existing speaker with a multimeter to check, it won’t be exactly 8 or 16 ohms resistance, but should be close enough to indicate the actual impedance of the speaker.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I'm pretty sure the Blackstar speaker will be 16 ohms. My experience with them is that they're quite a middy-sounding speaker - not as much as a V30, but more 'neutral' like something like a Celestion Seventy/80.

The sensitivity doesn't matter too much - you can have quite a big difference between the two speakers and it won't be noticeable unless they're very similar in tone. The 10" will be quieter than the 12" pretty much no matter what type you choose, so I would get a different-sounding speaker rather than one that's like the Blackstar.

What type of sound are you going for? If it's more of a 'British rock sound' I would get something like a Celestion G10 Greenback. If it's more of an open/clear 'American blues' sound I would get something like a Jensen C10Q. If the existing speaker is 16 ohms then that's also what you need for the new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thank you for helping.

The blackbird is 16ohm.

Yes, they will share the same cab.

About the sound I would like, well, a nice clear sparkly clean and a modern distortion, something tight, accurate, I don't know how to describe it.

Thanks again.
    Good evening beautiful people,

Thank you ICBM, I followed your advice. I bought and installed the C10Q in my 1x10-12 cab. I first tried it on its own: very nice but not enough low end for my taste.
    I usually am a very lucky person, and of course the Jensen add exactly what was missing to the Blackstar Blackbird. The distortion became really punchy.
    For now I will keep the Blackbird, I am not sure it is worth buying a G12, will I notice the improvement, maybe. (I am not saying the blackbird is as good as Celestion speakers...)

Conclusion: Jensen C10Q + Blackbird 50 == me happy...

Now I have many other guitar cab to build!! I you have any suggestion....

Bonne nuit!

Fabien

For simplicity its easyist to match it with a speaker of the same impedance, I'm guessing yours is 16 ohms,
       I dont know if matching with a 10 inch is a good idea,is it to share a cab?

I've not tried it but I'd guess a celestion V10 might complement the Blackbird well.

Wellcome to tfb

Thank you, there are many nice things to gather on tfb.
    fabien said:

Thank you ICBM, I followed your advice. I bought and installed the C10Q in my 1x10-12 cab. I first tried it on its own: very nice but not enough low end for my taste.
    I usually am a very lucky person, and of course the Jensen add exactly what was missing to the Blackstar Blackbird. The distortion became really punchy.
    For now I will keep the Blackbird, I am not sure it is worth buying a G12, will I notice the improvement, maybe. (I am not saying the blackbird is as good as Celestion speakers...)
    Don’t under-estimate the Blackbird. While I wouldn’t say it has the character of something like a Greenback or a V30, it’s a perfectly good speaker. There’s at least one Celestion which is much worse! (Rocket 50) As a ‘base’ speaker with a more characterful 10” like the Jensen it should be fine.

The Jensen will develop a bit more low-end as it breaks in - they’re one of the speakers that has the biggest change from new, they’re very bright straight out of the box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You confirmed what my ears thought, the Blackbird is fine.

Thanks, again.

Same cab, other question:

I would like to be able to use sometimes the 10" speaker by itself, what is the good way to do so?

I don't want to unplug the 12" 's wires, because I might solder them.

I thought of a jack plate with a parallel output, but I don't know how to wire that.....

Merci!
    Same cab, other question:

I would like to be able to use sometimes the 10" speaker by itself, what is the good way to do so?

I don't want to unplug the 12" 's wires, because I might solder them.

I thought of a jack plate with a parallel output, but I don't know how to wire that.....

Merci!
    Any help?
    You can use two jacks with a switch contact in one of them, so that if you plug into that jack you just get the 10”, and if you plug into the other you get both speakers.

It’s the same circuit you would use for stereo/mono wiring in a 2x12” cab like a Marshall 1936.

Merci ICBM,

So there is 2 jack plugs and a switch?

I will look for wiring plans of this Marshall cabinet.
    You don't need a switch, just a switched jack.

Switched jack, ok, i'll ask gogole! Merci mille fois.

And thanks again to make me buy the C10Q, after a few hours it already sound lower. My neigbprs told me I don't need to pair it with a 12", so....