Richard Thompson- Across a Crowded Room

What's Hot
RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
A kind YouTuber has this old 1985 VHS posted up there, so I’ve been listening to it this morning. I think on balance it’s my favourite RT recording. His tone is great, nice subtle use of vibrato/ chorus at times (CE-1?) and he’s on peak form with the solos, balancing that fabulous biting Rock n Roll style he has on the 12 bars with the unsettled, semi-atonal stuff on the more edgy material. 

I admit I am hot and cold with RT. Adore the guitar playing. He’s written some great songs. But his voice doesn’t always engage with me. On this VHS though he’s got the fabulous Clive Gregson and the even more fabulous Christine Collister on backing vocals, and I think that rounds things out wonderfully. So peak RT for my particular tastes. 

Other views of course vary, so what are some of your RT favourites? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    While, he has done some incredible stuff over the course of his career, I keep coming back to Mirror Blue. The production input of Mitchell Froom was the icing on the cake along with some awesome songs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Mitchell Froom was a good producer for RT- Rumour and Sigh for example. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebear said:
    While, he has done some incredible stuff over the course of his career, I keep coming back to Mirror Blue. The production input of Mitchell Froom was the icing on the cake along with some awesome songs. 
    Agreed.

I also think The Old Kit Bag is worth a mention in dispatches. 

In fact whom I kidding...I'd pay to see the geezer play a biscuit tin with a string on it. 

A national treasure.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I came to him quite late and the ear piercing strat tone he had at times makes it hard work. He has, however, got me loving something I normally hate - the acoustic ballad. His Acoustic Classics album that has Vincent Black Lighting and Galway to Graceland on it, those two are just wonderful to me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3731
    Across a Crowded Room was the album that introduced me to his music and remains one of my favourites but there's also I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight which has some great songs on.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @drofluf Just listened to Shoot out The Lights. Now I’ve found on YT an old edition of A Little Night Music (BBC- August 81!!!) with Richard and Linda. 

That’s the thing about decorating- plenty of time to listen to stuff. I’m sure Richard would be delighted that his work is a perfect accompaniment to a spot of varnishing. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    This is one of my electric favourites from RT....epic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2LYEZeUcpY
  • I also came to him late, but I'm a big fan now.

Seen him live twice, the first time was just him and his acoustic at the Conkers National Forest natural amphitheatre. He was fabulous, an astonishing player and some lovely songs.

Then I saw him at the Warwick Arts Centre with a full band on the Dream Attic tour and it was a very different experience, but just as good, despite the fact he occasionally failed to resist the temptation to get a bit widdly-widdly-widdly on the solos.

In fact, he was so good even the missus enjoyed both gigs, and when we first met she told me she couldn't stand him (which didn't bother me at the time because I wasn't a fan then).
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    I saw the 2013 "Electric" tour trio line-up. I did not miss the contributions of John Kirkpatrick and John Zorn anything like as much as I expected. 

Redlester said:
    what are some of your RT favourites? 
    I nominate the first RT disc that I purchased, Hand Of Kindness. Tear-Stained Letter and Devonside are reason enough.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited June 2020
    Daring Adventures - the follow up to Across a Crowded Room - is a corker. Worth it just for Jennie and Al Bowlly’s in Heaven. 

Unlike many, age hasn’t withered him. Recent albums such as Electric, Still and Thirteen Rivers are up there with anything he’s done. The latter comes with a caveat - it is anything but easy listening - a very dark and quite angry record. 

The man’s a genius in my opinion....

And apropos nothing, my GF has recently bought my a print of the picture RT painted for 13 Rivers signed by him. It’s now beautifully framed on the wall above my telly.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2422
    Just watching this now, thanks... great band and RT on top form. I also find his singing a bit unengaging but the playing is amazing. Reminds me a lot of Tom Verlaine in places.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Rumour and sigh was the one that got me into Richard Thompson - His music, be it acoustic or electric is so damn recognisable, for me his voice is underrated it fits the style really well and is unusual.

Only managed to see him once as he doesn't tour Europe much. Very much enjoyed his series of home sessions during lockdown and now there is an EP to enjoy too: https://richardthompson.bandcamp.com/?fbclid=IwAR2g-VQAs_2jG7HVk7a8Ef-r6m80jH81D9cQw_tJgIUqAJ9SbYH2AhIKNeA

• blobbblobb Frets: 2983
    Duelling with Swarbrick would be my iconic RT image (that or making it rain on a field full of folkies).
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'